Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

Anyone know how to install head gaskets?

Old June 5th, 2010, 5:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know how to install head gaskets?

Losing coolant big time. 40 miles took me 3 hours with me putting water in it every 5 miles. I bought the gasket set but need direction. Thanks.
Old June 5th, 2010, 6:19 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have never done anything like that before then it is not a job you should do. It is extremely difficult especially with the engine in a van. Also you would really need to buy a service manual to do it because there are very specific torque specs that MUST be used on assembly. You will also need a good quality torque wrench. The job takes at least a minimum of 8 hours start to finish for a good Tech. to do in a shop with all the right tools on hand and air power. Doing it outside at home especially if you do not do that kind of work will most likely take 2-3 days. When you open the hood you pretty much are removing everything you can see.
Old June 12th, 2010, 7:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your answer. I'm retired and have plenty of time, tools and air and a son that's a mechanical as I am and more limber. I used to be a motorcycle mechanic and have built many automotive engines, hotrods, etc. I took out a book from the library and copied the pages that were pertinent. We're going to tackle it.