Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

No heat, always adding coolant

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2010, 11:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So The wife and I finally took the van to a mechanic after it was sitting in our driveway for almost a month and we come to find out that the "coolant intake valve" is gone and as well as "both" headgaskets.. We were told that is is going to cost us about $1900.00 to fix and then there is no guarantee that the head wasn't warped. We bought the van and it had no heat upfront but the heat in the back seats was hotter than the hobs of hell so we never worried.. So now we are just going to sell the van for scrap or whoever chows up and wants the van can take it(Not for free though).. I will never again buy a GM vehicle with a 3100 or a 3400 motor.. We have had nothing but problems..
Old March 15th, 2010, 7:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IF you have the dancing needle...it is most likely the head gaskets....just the way it works on these vans unfortunately....if you get the intake gaskets done..DO YOURSELF A FAVOR and spend the extra money to have them pull the heads and do those...the labor is mostly done when doing the intake gaskets....IF YOU DON'T...YOU'LL BE SORRY!

I fought with mine, changed thermostat, temperature sensor, added coolant, burped, etc...all would keep the problem away for a few days...then return...did the intake gaskets...then had to turn around and do the head gaskets as that was what it was....IF YOU REALLY want to know...spend the 97 bucks to have Chevy or GM tell you what it is...
Old March 15th, 2010, 2:51 PM
CF Beginner

Rogers mechanical repair service's Avatar

To clarify that would be the blend door actuator.
Old March 15th, 2010, 2:58 PM
CF Beginner

Rogers mechanical repair service's Avatar

Odd that both would go at the same time. Was a pressure test done on the coolant system? Also how was it determined to be headgaskets? Just curious
Old December 15th, 2010, 9:20 PM
CF Beginner

kinda wish i woudve read this earlier. Anyway, I finished the intake gasket the other day(It was cracked and for sure bad...with coolant in the oil)> Got it all put back together...now cant seem to get coolant to stabalize...needle bouncing like air is in system. Will do ok at idle....but when driving goes from 195-250(Temp)...needle all over the place. Fans seem to kick on and off like they should. I also installed a new water pump and an OEM thermostat(Which i drilled a 1/8" hole in it at the top). Also, a new radiator within the last three months.

If it is indeed the head gaskets...would I be ok to reuse the felpro high dollar intake gaskets I just installed?

I also checked when I first started the engine..by the radiator neck for any exhaust gases(I used a meter) It didnt pick any up. Plus, now theres no more water in the oil. Again...I am hoping the head gasket is ok...but was hoping for suggestions.