Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Adding coolant to the radiator

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2007, 5:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding coolant to the radiator

This is my first post, so let me say hello to everyone here. I have a 2002 Impala base sedan, 3.4L V6, and I love it. I was wondering how to verify my radiator is full of coolant, because I keep getting a warning light for low coolant, even though the reserve tank is filled to the proper level. I can't get the cap off of the radiator. Any hints?
Old April 22nd, 2007, 6:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Adding coolant to the radiator

You have to push down on the cap while you turn it to the left. If you find that the coolant is full then your sensor is probably full of sludge. If it is full of sludge you probably have lower intake gasket leaking.I went through the same thing about a year or so ago with my impala base 3.4, good luck.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 6:58 PM
CF Beginner

Just out of curiosity, about how much did it cost to get that done? I've pretty much figured that's what is going on, my system is completely full. The sensor is intermittent, it comes on every once in a while, but goes off on the next start or after a few mintues of driving.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 2:23 AM
CF Junior Member

WellI did all the work to mine myself including the lower intake gaskets cost less then 100 bucks not sure on the exact amount but if you want to just see if you can get the sensor working this is whatI did. take the radiator cap off (be sure the engine iscold) then takea 3 of 4 foot piece of 3/8 ID rubber hose and put it in the filler neck of the radiator about 2 inches past the coolant level sensor (the sensor is a square 1 1/2 by 1 1/2 inch thing sticking out the back side of the radiator on the filler neck side of the radiator) measure from 2 inches below the sensor to the top of the filler neck and then mark your hose to that length and then slide it in the radiator neck all the way to the mark. take a couple of gallon jugs and siphon the coolant out until it stops flowing. remove the head light Assembly (your owners manual tells you how) you should be able to unplug the wire connection to the sensor and take the metal wire clip that goes around the sensor and locks it to the radiator.I use like a little metal dentist pick, once you havethe clipout the sensor should come right out with a little wiggling. once it's out what worked best for me was some of that toilet bowl cleaner called (the works) it has a very strong acid in it so be careful not to get any on you or the car! look inside the sensor you'll see a round hole with a small metal peg inside of it squirt a little toilet bowl cleaner in the hole (fill it to the top)and let it sit on there for about 5 seconds and then rise it well with water, if it doesn't look clean fill it up again with the cleaner, but do not let it set on there for more then 5 seconds. put the metal wire clip back on the sensor plug the wires back into it and it snaps right back in the radiator.put your head light back in open the air bleeders on the thermostat housing and the heater tube and fill it back up with coolant until it starts to come out the bleeders. then close them, start the engine and add more coolantlet it idle and get up to temp with the radiatorcap off (some water might spill out so have a pan ready) and be sure the thermostat is open and all the air is out of the system. top the radiator off and put the cap back on and your light should not come on any more or until it gets full of sludge again but it will work for quite a while. hope this helps!!
Old April 23rd, 2007, 5:55 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the tips. I called the shop I took all my other vehicles to for service and I was quoted $860, which includes replacing the thermostat, PCV valve, spark plugs and some other stuff... I'm going to take it to a mechanic who used to work at the same shop and he's going to do it for $300, plus parts.