Volt Get plugged into Chevrolet's electric car! The batteries will take you most anywhere and the on-board generator can take you beyond!
Named the 2011 North American Car of the Year

Chevrolet Volt
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: ClipperCreek

High Revving Generator

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2022, 11:14 AM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question High Revving Generator

Hello all,
The other day I was charging my volt in my driveway, and, when I went out in the morning to head to work, the display suddenly showed that I had over 50 miles of range (usually I get something closer to 39-42). I thought it was odd, but continued on my trip, as I was approaching the cycle of my battery range, the generator kicked on, but it began to rev really high. Higher than I'd ever heard. Also, it usually cycles up to provide some power to the motor and then tapers off as the car gains momentum, but it just remained revving at maximum for over 2 minutes. Luckily, I was close to home, pulled back into my driveway and plugged in.

It seemed like it was somehow related to this unrealistic range that my dash was displaying for the HV battery range. I figured that perhaps it was a miscommunication with the computer, so I disconnected the low voltage battery in the trunk area with the hopes that a hard reset would fix it, but when I booted it back up, the car's display still shows 47 miles of range. I have yet to fully deplete the HV battery since because I fear that the engine revving that high for so long will cause irreparable damage.

For some background, my car is a 2014 Volt with about 145k. There aren't any dash warnings aside from the TPMS, which has been on since I bought the car used at 138k about 6 months ago from a private party. I'm happy to provide any other details that I can. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old October 14th, 2023, 7:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue with 2014 VOLT

Hi there. This post popped up in my google search for the same issue - high revving. I have a 2014 VOLT with 168,000km. The high revving has happened several times and I can't figure out what's wrong. Have you had any luck? We have had a couple of times where the range is unusually high but I haven't correlated that to the revving.

Originally Posted by JshMddx
Hello all,
The other day I was charging my volt in my driveway, and, when I went out in the morning to head to work, the display suddenly showed that I had over 50 miles of range (usually I get something closer to 39-42). I thought it was odd, but continued on my trip, as I was approaching the cycle of my battery range, the generator kicked on, but it began to rev really high. Higher than I'd ever heard. Also, it usually cycles up to provide some power to the motor and then tapers off as the car gains momentum, but it just remained revving at maximum for over 2 minutes. Luckily, I was close to home, pulled back into my driveway and plugged in.

It seemed like it was somehow related to this unrealistic range that my dash was displaying for the HV battery range. I figured that perhaps it was a miscommunication with the computer, so I disconnected the low voltage battery in the trunk area with the hopes that a hard reset would fix it, but when I booted it back up, the car's display still shows 47 miles of range. I have yet to fully deplete the HV battery since because I fear that the engine revving that high for so long will cause irreparable damage.

For some background, my car is a 2014 Volt with about 145k. There aren't any dash warnings aside from the TPMS, which has been on since I bought the car used at 138k about 6 months ago from a private party. I'm happy to provide any other details that I can. Any advice would be much appreciated.