Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!

Search this Thread

Old December 19th, 2015, 3:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dangerous

So I was driving with my family and all of the sudden the traction control light lit up, the tire monitor light lit up , and the stabillitrac light lit up, then the engine power reduced notification indicator lit and the car engine started shaking really bad. Luckily me and my family made it safe to the side of the road this is the second time this has happened. Time to look for a.lawyer
Old January 8th, 2016, 1:16 AM
CF Beginner

Default Rob

I have 170000 miles.on my 2009 chevy malibu 3.6 LTZ and have never had a problem with it until now. It's had its maintenance and repairs but this is the first time I see the ENGINE POWER REDUCED come on... my wife and 3 year old were in the car with me when my car drastically slowed down.. I disconnected the negative terminal to see if it'll fix the issue and it did until new years. It cranks but won't start. when I give it cables it feels like the battery drains while I try to start it. Starter, alternator, and camshaft sensors have been changed. I've also checked all fuses.... don't know what to do. My family and I just moved to a new city tight on money and I'm stressing. Can anyone point me in the right direction please.?

Last edited by Roramos05; January 8th, 2016 at 1:23 AM.
Old January 12th, 2016, 1:25 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks for the advice regarding "Special Coverage".

Originally Posted by mcclec
I have posted to this thread previously with the same issue on my 2010 Suburban. I found a number to call on www.recalls.gm.com , inquired about recalls for my vehicle which after reading my VIN # to the gentleman I was told that there were no recalls but there was "Special Coverage" on this vehicle which paid for a new throttle position sensor. I have not had any issues since (KNOCK ON WOOD). Check it out!
For the second time my 2011 Chevrolet Tahoe gave the reduced engine power light and slowed to a crawl and stopped.I also was terrified. The first time this happened we replace the foot pedal after being put on diagnostics. After reading many post I came across yours I also called the recall center and was told there were no recalls for my car but there was special coverage. They will be giving me one hour of free diagnostics to make sure that this is the issue at hand and I will not be charged my car only has 78,645 miles on it. I was told this coverage would be extended up to 120,000 miles or the year October 2020. I am not too happy with Chevrolet that I have to wait until Monday, another six days before they will even look at my car. Thank you so much for posting this I feel you probably just saved me anywhere between 600 and 1000 bucks!
Old January 12th, 2016, 2:55 PM
CF Beginner

Default My family was almost killed.

The car display said engine power reduced while I was crossing the train tracks with my family in the snow. There wasn't enough power to get across the tracks and a train was coming. I told everyone to get out just as it got enough power to cross the tracks.
Old January 13th, 2016, 1:05 PM
CF Beginner

Hi,

This morning my chevy malibu 2010 (31.5 k mileage) when driving on snow the engine light came on and there was a message "reduced engine power" .. the engine was shaking and it looked like about to stall ... was really afraid, pulled over turn off and on the engine twice, by the second time it stopped shaking but the engine light is still on ..
Would you please help to solve this problem, i am ashamed towards my wife for having bought her a car that seems to be unsafe and dangerous ..
Old January 15th, 2016, 3:59 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2010 Malibu with a little over 100,000 miles on it. I had the same problem that others are describing. Traction and engine light came on, car lost power and would not go more than 10 mph, and started shaking pretty violently. I have seen a lot of solutions on here that people have replaced and it doesn't seem like the replacements have worked. Has anyone found a solution?
Old January 15th, 2016, 5:15 PM
CF Beginner

Angry Very UNHAPPY CHEVY OWNER!!!

I almost caused a multi car pile up in the middle of 5o'clock traffic. I own a 2011 chevy cruze and in the middle of the road, my cars engine light came on and I instantly went from 55mph to 15. What a terrifying experience! I am furious that this isn't a recall and chevy is fully aware of this ongoing issue.
Old January 15th, 2016, 5:23 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by MHunt11
I almost caused a multi car pile up in the middle of 5o'clock traffic. I own a 2011 chevy cruze and in the middle of the road, my cars engine light came on and I instantly went from 55mph to 15. What a terrifying experience! I am furious that this isn't a recall and chevy is fully aware of this ongoing issue.
Just happened to us today too. I am reading that this is an almost weekly occurrence. People are posting on this thread and others almost weekly with new incidents of this happening.

TO CHEVY:

I believe some Chevy CS reps are reading this. If you are please contact me. I called a dealership and they said just turn it off and wait 20 minutes.

Really and then what? Wait for it to happen again? I am pretty upset right now and trying not to make any rash decisions and fly off any handles or anything but if Chevy knows of this, and clearly they do as evidenced with the massive number of complaints, why is nothing being done? This many models failing in the exact same way is clearly a manufacturing problem. Is it really going to take a death for this to be addressed?
Old January 17th, 2016, 1:25 PM
CF Beginner

Default Solution

Yes, the solution is to trade in your Chevy and never buy one again. It's ridiculous that this dangerous issue has gone on unabated by Chevy. When my daughter almost died 2 years ago, I sold the Cruze and will never buy another Chevy.
Old January 17th, 2016, 1:45 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Davidclan
Yes, the solution is to trade in your Chevy and never buy one again. It's ridiculous that this dangerous issue has gone on unabated by Chevy. When my daughter almost died 2 years ago, I sold the Cruze and will never buy another Chevy.
I believe you are right. I am going dealership hopping for a Ford, Honda, or VW. It will be weird though. I grew up in Detroit, my dad worked for Chevy and I have never owned anything but Chevy's. We are a Chevy family so I am going to catch some **** when I pull up and post a different manufacturer but I don't know what else to do. I can't drive a car I don't believe can get from point A to B without shutting down with kids in the car. And I will not buy another Chevy seeing how they are ignoring this problem with so many complaints. I called a couple dealerships and didn't even get a sorry or anything. Just a shrug and a "pay us to find out". I would have been trading in my car soon anyhow. It is 6 years old. So Chevy refusing to even acknowledge this will cost the whatever I would have spent plus as much negative word of mouth I can muster. And I talk alot.

Quick Reply: VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!