Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Stabilitrak Off Message + lost Power stearing

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2017, 6:04 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by oreo918.ja
Took into dealer (not a Chevy dealership) Friday (1/6/2017) because PCM is covered under my limited warranty. They said, PCM is good. That EGR valve, (I'll replace myself), & said "power steering control module" is bad and quoted me $240 to replace with a used power steering control module. (Brand new $490) Do I need to replace egr same I day I pick up my car? Because they are saying replacing power steering control module alone is going to restore power steering, and remove service stabilitrak/traction control from dash board which kinda contradicts all I've researched about this issue?
No, not really. A fault in the power steering could also cause the Stabilitrak to be disabled. I would just have the Power Steering Control Module replaced and see what happens. If your check engine light isn't on, then the P0404 & P0405 codes are probably pending codes which means your EGR valve may be fine. I wouldn't replace the EGR valve unless the Stabilitrak issue persists after having the PSCM replaced.
Old January 11th, 2017, 6:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ruley73
No, not really. A fault in the power steering could also cause the Stabilitrak to be disabled. I would just have the Power Steering Control Module replaced and see what happens. If your check engine light isn't on, then the P0404 & P0405 codes are probably pending codes which means your EGR valve may be fine. I wouldn't replace the EGR valve unless the Stabilitrak issue persists after having the PSCM replaced.
Alrighty. I'll get it back this Friday hoping that that's the case. That'll knock $72.00 of my O'Reilly's list lol. Thank you for your time and advice. They are also saying faulty EGR is causing multiple misfires. Car jerks in between 40-50mph they trying to say it's not the transmission. Told me change plugs, (I did that, although didn't personally gap them) now they're saying is bad wires and egr causing it? Are they trying to put me off till my warranty expires which is in 5000 or so miles?

Last edited by oreo918.ja; January 11th, 2017 at 6:33 AM. Reason: Left something out
Old January 14th, 2017, 4:31 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oreo918.ja
Alrighty. I'll get it back this Friday hoping that that's the case. That'll knock $72.00 of my O'Reilly's list lol. Thank you for your time and advice. They are also saying faulty EGR is causing multiple misfires. Car jerks in between 40-50mph they trying to say it's not the transmission. Told me change plugs, (I did that, although didn't personally gap them) now they're saying is bad wires and egr causing it? Are they trying to put me off till my warranty expires which is in 5000 or so miles?
Got an updated list of codes after picking up my Chevy yesterday.
P0405
P0300
p0305
​​​​​C0460
C0561

So I already got an egr valve and going to replace tomorrow. Where's did the c codes come from

Last edited by oreo918.ja; January 14th, 2017 at 4:32 PM. Reason: Submitted accidentally
Old July 3rd, 2018, 8:49 PM
CF Beginner

Default 07 equinox AWD no power steering and service stabilitrak

(I’m walking through the process to give ideas of trouble shooting that may help you on your issue) Just this last weekend I started my car to leave the driveway and the power steering and stabilitrak “went out.” I use that term lightly. “Service stabilitrak” came up and the check engine light came on. I tried replacing the 80 amp mega fuse and had no luck. I tried swapping out relays to see if the AWD relay went bad. I also checked all the fuses that would pertain to the issue. Finally, I replaced a relay and I disconnected both terminals of the battery for about 20 minutes. Once I reconnected the battery and fired it up the service stabilitrak light came on but there was power steering. I cycled through the tire info options after a drive, shut it off, turned it back on, and wahla no problem solved. For the time being. I will update IF the issue persists.