Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

97 Cavalier won't start

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2009, 9:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Cavalier won't start

While driving down the road this 4SD 2.2L OHV just shut off & now won't restart. All related fuses/relays are OK. The engine turns over, fuel pump turns on & their's a heavy spark on plug 1, but not so heavy on the others. Plugs have been replaced. Haven't check fuel pressure @ the fuel regulator & how in the world does one get to the ignition coil/ignition control module assembly which is located on the backside of the engine block..........
Old January 8th, 2009, 2:30 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: 97 Cavalier won't start

You need to find out fuel pressure. the pump might run but not build up enough pressure. Also, and it sounds ridiculous, but make sure you have fuel in the tank. You may have run out of fuel if the gauge is not working properly. if all is well as far as fuel pressure is concerned, the next step is to see if the injectors are opening up using a noid light.
To get at the coils, you need to take the air breather off, and reach down from the top. Don't bother trying from the bottom, the exhaust gets in the way.
Old January 8th, 2009, 4:09 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about codes? Is the check engine light on? That would give you more an idea if it were & you have a way to check the codes.
Old January 8th, 2009, 9:14 PM
CF Beginner

Thks 4 the reply mmanter, but I tied a code scanner & nothing was displayed. Any ideas on getting down to the ignition coil/ignition control module assembly (located backside/bottom of the engine block). The only way that I can see doing that is to remove the throttle body asm & upper intake manifold on this 97 2.2L 4Dr Sedan. Any thoughts to the correct attachment for the fuel pressure check & what about the crankshaft sensor… thks
Old January 8th, 2009, 9:18 PM
CF Beginner

Thks for the reply shawnvw.Any ideas on getting down to the ignition coil/ignition control module assembly (located backside/bottom of the engine block). The only way that I can see doing that is to remove the throttle body asm & upper intake manifold on this 97 2.2L 4Dr Sedan. Any thoughts to the correct attachment for the fuel pressure check & what about the crankshaft sensor.Say again, how do u check those injectors with a noid light ..... thks
Old January 8th, 2009, 9:19 PM
CF Beginner

Any ideas on getting down to the ignition coil/ignition control module assembly (located backside/bottom of the engine block). The only way that I can see doing that is to remove the throttle body asm & upper intake manifold on this 97 2.2L 4Dr Sedan. Any thoughts to the correct attachment for the fuel pressure check & what about the crankshaft sensor…Thks 4 the reply mmanter, but I tied a code scanner & nothing was displayed..... thks
Old January 8th, 2009, 10:11 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To check the injectors with a noid light you unplug the injector harness and plug in the noid light to the injector harness. You want to do this once at a time as you are going to look for the flashes while the car is running. The flashing will tell you if the injector would be pulsing. To check the injectors themselves you can check them with the car running by using either a mechanics stethoscope or a long handled screw driver. place it at the injector while the car is running to listen for the injector clicking on & off.

To check the fuel pressure on your car you will need a gauge kit so you can tee into the line. On most cars there is a schrader valve on the fuel rail to check pressure at, however there does not appear to be one on this car. If you go to NAPA or any other auto parts store you should be able to ask them what you need to check the fuel pressure on your car. NAPA would probably know more than other parts stores. You can probably also check with a Chevy dealer.

If the crank sensor is like the one on the 92 2.2L engine it is hard to get to. It is at the back of the engine block below the ignition coil module. It should be around the passenger side. It's probably not your crankshaft sensor as those GENERALLY throw a trouble code when they go out. That's not to say that it is good, but that it is not likely to be bad. Also you would more than likely not have spark if the sensor was bad.

Have you tried to spray some starter fluid to see if it will start on it? If not give that a try. I wish I could say there is an easy way to get to the module but there is not. Bad placement & no way around it. Going from the top & removing the parts you mentioned is your best bet.
Old January 9th, 2009, 3:47 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You do not need to take off the throttle body or upper intake to get at it. Only take off the rubber hose, and reach your arm down around the back of the engine. There are a few 13mm nuts\bolts holding the plate that houses the ign module to the block. The coils can come off the ignition module while you have it on the bench
Old January 11th, 2009, 5:19 PM
CF Beginner

Thks Shawnvw 4 the nput, I will gave that a try & let u know if I'm successful........