New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

Chevy Cavalier won't start

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2006, 9:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy Cavalier won't start

Dilemma:
I have a 1984 Chevy Cavalier 84 (w/fuel Injection, 2.0), and 4-cylinder. The car usually took 2-3 attempts to start. A friend suggested I change the spark plugs and oil-change. I followed this advice but since then, its been chaos. Two weeks ago, I changed the spark plugs and cable (from AutoZone) but since then, I cannot start the car or drive without mishaps. First, it gives fire-sparks next to the distributor and a popping noise when trying ignition is attempted. Once it started and left to rev, it belowed with black smoke (exhaust) and then cut-off power. Is there I way I can correct this? First,the cables alignment are fault (never followed sequence!)and there is no documentation in the vehicle on which goes in first and last. Within this time, the car's gas tank has dropped from full to halt tank without covering any distance. What might be the problem? How do I get the car to satrt and move again?
Thanks.

Old August 22nd, 2006, 1:33 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Chevy Cavalier won't start

Welcome, man!

On many four-bangers, the firing order is 1-3-4-2. #1 is closest to the front of the motor.

A good way to find #1 (at it's firing point) is to pull the plug, then crank the engine until it just hit's the compression stroke. Then crank slowly until the timing mark comes up to a point on the timing scale. #1 will be at top dead center (TDC) at this time. Pull the cap, and see where the rotor is pointing. That's your #1 lead.

If you have trouble finding #1, you could randomly put all the wires on in the above firing order and give it a crank. Nothing? Rotate them all one position to the right.

You've got a 1 in 4 shot of getting it right. Good Luck!