Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Liftgate Problem

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2011, 8:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2007 Liftgate Problem

I recently had my rear liftgate stop working. Apparently there is no obvious way to open the liftgate once the latch assy. stops working. I would grab the exterior handle and nothing would happen. I wouldn't hear the latch as I normally would. The glass hatch worked fine though.

I was told that I would have to attempt to remove the interior panel, which is near impossible to do with the liftgate closed, this commonly damages the panel. Crazy considering the panel is about $495.00! The latch assy. cost between $95.00-$165.00. I was lucky and found one on ebay for $60.00.

The new latch assy. has a long plastic strap to run to the top of the panel to facilitate easy access and release the latch. As I inspected the interior panel I noticed a small (1/8") circle molded into the panel near the bottom just right of the latch (center). After I drilled this out with a 1/8 " bit I used a 6" long wire, clothes hanger strength, and inserted it attempting to push the release up in the direction the strap on the new one would be pulled.

After about 1 minute of trying this I succeeded. The hatch opened. The replacement of the latch took about 10 minutes. The new latch solved the problem!

If you run in to this problem let me know and I'll post pictures...

The dealer acted as if they didn't know how to do this....
Old May 13th, 2011, 9:19 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow I have not heard of this but you really should post pictures because this will be very handy for anyone else with issues.
the power liftgate is handy at times but there are many times I wish I had a regular one so when I am in the garage I can lift it and slowly let it rest on the garage door. instead now I have to unload in the driveway then pull the truck in...
Old May 13th, 2011, 12:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jcurtis69
I recently had my rear liftgate stop working. Apparently there is no obvious way to open the liftgate once the latch assy. stops working. I would grab the exterior handle and nothing would happen. I wouldn't hear the latch as I normally would. The glass hatch worked fine though.

I was told that I would have to attempt to remove the interior panel, which is near impossible to do with the liftgate closed, this commonly damages the panel. Crazy considering the panel is about $495.00! The latch assy. cost between $95.00-$165.00. I was lucky and found one on ebay for $60.00.

The new latch assy. has a long plastic strap to run to the top of the panel to facilitate easy access and release the latch. As I inspected the interior panel I noticed a small (1/8") circle molded into the panel near the bottom just right of the latch (center). After I drilled this out with a 1/8 " bit I used a 6" long wire, clothes hanger strength, and inserted it attempting to push the release up in the direction the strap on the new one would be pulled.

After about 1 minute of trying this I succeeded. The hatch opened. The replacement of the latch took about 10 minutes. The new latch solved the problem!

If you run in to this problem let me know and I'll post pictures...

The dealer acted as if they didn't know how to do this....
awesome tip.
Old May 13th, 2011, 3:11 PM
CF Beginner

The problem could still exist without the power liftgate. My 2007 doesn't have a power liftgate but it still han an electric release latch on the outside handle.
Old May 13th, 2011, 4:14 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you are correct - still I don't like having the let the power liftgate open to the top or it will come back down if it hits something. I dont think many garages are tall enough to let it open inside the garage.
Old May 13th, 2011, 5:21 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same problem with the lack of room. But without the power liftgate I can open it slowly and stop it before it smashes into the garage door.
Old May 18th, 2011, 3:24 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Spicoli
I have the same problem with the lack of room. But without the power liftgate I can open it slowly and stop it before it smashes into the garage door.

Spicoli,

Are you having any direct issues with your lift gate other than the lack of room? If so, please let me know!

Thank you!

Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Assistance
Old May 19th, 2011, 12:24 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Spicoli,

Are you having any direct issues with your lift gate other than the lack of room? If so, please let me know!

Thank you!

Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Assistance
Thank you for asking but I don't have a problem with my lift gate at all. I was saying that due to my lift gate not being a powered lift gate I can control how fast and how far up it goes. Thanks, Jeff.
Old May 19th, 2011, 2:46 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Spicoli
Thank you for asking but I don't have a problem with my lift gate at all. I was saying that due to my lift gate not being a powered lift gate I can control how fast and how far up it goes. Thanks, Jeff.
That’s good to hear. If you ever have any problems, feel free to contact us!

Thank you,

Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old May 20th, 2011, 10:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2007 tahoe liftgate

Well, I replaced the latch. Now the problem is back. Intermittently the liftgate wont open. or it will start to release then not open. almost as if the exterior handle isn't working. The other day the liftgate opened on its own when i unlocked the truck. It has done it twice now.... I'm baffled... It sound like an electronic problem somewhere, not a hardware issue.

Quick Reply: 2007 Liftgate Problem