Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2008 suburban engine oil cooler and transmission cooler

Search this Thread

Old September 25th, 2011, 2:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 suburban engine oil cooler and transmission cooler

Hi all!
New to this forum site and excited to get some feedback. I have a 2008 Suburban 1500 LT2. We just bought our first 26 ft travel trailer yesterday, and I have some towing type questions. Does anyone know if the LT2 version came standard with an engine oil cooler and a transmission cooler. If not, anyone have any reccomendations on who sells them for the best price. I am fairly mechanically inclined, so are either of these items easy to install for a do-it-yourselfer? Thanks in advance for any input I can get!
Old September 25th, 2011, 3:09 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
your RPO code list in the glove box should help you decode some of that info..
also looking for added lines running to the radiator or to other coolers located at the front of the vehicle can be more obvious signs...
Old September 25th, 2011, 6:23 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

IIRC correctly the engine oil cooler is located in front of the A/C condenser and I think they are both part of an option pkg, not at home this week so can't check.
Old September 26th, 2011, 10:00 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info! I'll do some checking and let you know how I come out.
Old September 26th, 2011, 4:04 PM
CF Beginner

There is a small radiator in front of the main radiator, but that is the air conditioner cooler. I thought I had the trans cooler when I saw that, but found out through research that I didnt, but I have added an oem one. For my 2010 the extra cooling system rpo code is KD1, not sure about 2008.
Old September 26th, 2011, 4:10 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Zagfan1989
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> If you PM me your VIN number I can look up your vehicle build for you.
Breanne
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old September 26th, 2011, 5:17 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Zagfan1989
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> If you PM me your VIN number I can look up your vehicle build for you.
Breanne
Chevrolet Customer Service
Just as the other members stated,post your RPO codes and we will help you on the open forum.No need to private mgs anyone.We need for anyone to SHARE their experiences on the open forum for ref's for a archive ref in the future.That is a cornerstone of all the forums.CCS isn't a knowledge based ref.
Old September 26th, 2011, 7:06 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll look up those RPO codes and get them posted.
Old September 26th, 2011, 9:52 PM
Banned

Honestly-if it where me,I would be more concerned to have a tranny cooler than a oil cooler.I have some doubts that towing your trailer you would over heat the oil.And as far as the oil goes,it wouldn't hurt for you to post what oil your running.

In GM's history it was common for them to install oil coolers to the rad because of tight engine compartments like Astro vans,cube vans,big high stress trucks.Fact is some Astro owners removed the oil coolers because of leaking issues at the O rings and it did not have any ill effects.

Last edited by T.Neff; September 26th, 2011 at 9:58 PM.
Old September 27th, 2011, 10:19 AM
CF Beginner

So, I got the RPO codes, with descriptions of each code (actually, my wife got them last year when we first started looking at trailers) and it appears our Suburban does not have either the tranny cooler or the engine oil cooler. I was searching on another site called etrailer.com and asked one of their "experts" about products, and he directed me to a kit that was had both coolers and the necessary adapters. Anyone have any opinions on specific products out there? I might be making more of this than I should be, but this being our first trailer, I really don't want destroy our urban tank pulling the darn thing : ) I've attached the code sheets for anyone who wants to look.
Attached Thumbnails 2008 suburban engine oil cooler and transmission cooler-suburbanvin1.jpg   2008 suburban engine oil cooler and transmission cooler-suburbanvin2.jpg   2008 suburban engine oil cooler and transmission cooler-suburbanvin3.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2008 suburban engine oil cooler and transmission cooler