Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

First oil change in 7 years / Oil analysts by Blackstone

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2014, 10:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by in2pro
Yeah, now I remember why I pay them $80 for an oil change... its the mess and the old oil I despise... 6 qts of oil is a LOT of oil, and yep that oil still runs down the old filter, your hand and arm and to the driveway when your taking it off....
You definitely need a new dealer. Call around - you easily can find $30-40 deals. The stealerships are drooling to get you in there so they can sell you BG cleaning products at 1000% markup, besides finding other "broken" items. There are good and honest dealers out there, but they are harder and harder to find.

Why not just let the filter drip out before you spin it the rest of the way off? I don't have any issues getting my filters off and getting oil down my arm (and creating oil slick in my street / neighborhood creek).
Old August 13th, 2014, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

The $80 is not bad when you consider its 6 quarts of Mobile 1 synthetic, filter and tire rotation. The 6 quarts of oil alone cost me $37 from Sam's Club, the filter is the same price I paid for it at the auto parts store ~$6...
Old August 13th, 2014, 10:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

6 qts of oil is a LOT of oil, and yep that oil still runs down the old filter, your hand and arm and to the driveway when your taking it off....
I love using those vinyl gloves and right when it starts running down the filter I get the blue shop towels and let it catch on there.
Old August 13th, 2014, 11:59 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always used the large plastic Folgers coffee containers to the oil from the filters after I've popped a couple of holes in the filters with a sharpened awl. Less mess and drains the filter.
Old August 19th, 2014, 8:55 PM
Administrator

Default Blackstone oil report

As promised here is the report back from Blacktone on the evaluation of my Mobile 1 oil use and the ~8000 mile oil changes...

In a nut shell I can continue with the ~8k mile oil changes as the oil is holding up well in the TBN however I am getting high iron and lead...
They did not speculate as to why, so I emailed them back to see what their opinion was on potential AFM lifter wear causing the high iron, I'll follow up with the response when/if I get one...

Recap:
2007 Tahoe with 5.3L flex fuel
98,000 miles
original owner
M1 synthetic since new
cost was $25 +10 for the TBN (how is the oil holding up) $35 total the sample vial and mailer are free, shipping the sample back was ~$2.80

Would I recommend this, as a once a year preventative maintenance item and if you are into data like this, yes I would.

Here is their site if you are interested in what they have to offer..
Blackstone Labs

Attached Thumbnails First oil change in 7 years / Oil analysts by Blackstone-blackstone-labs.jpg  
Old February 6th, 2015, 5:59 PM
Administrator

About to do another oil change and send my sample in to Blackstone... on of their recommendations was to try a shorter change interval and have it re-evaluated... I am at 5055 miles since the last change...
Old February 7th, 2015, 8:43 AM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

About to do another oil change and send my sample in to Blackstone... on of their recommendations was to try a shorter change interval and have it re-evaluated... I am at 5055 miles since the last change...
Let us know what they say. If I recall you were starting to have some oil consumption issues.
Old February 7th, 2015, 3:17 PM
Administrator

fishing nut will do on the follow up of what Blackstone reports, I wasn't seeing consumption issues at least not with this thread post, but was seeing higher metals in my oil per the last evaluation Blackstone did for me, they suggested a shorter oil change interval and having the oil reevaluated again.
My original sample with M1 was at about ~8000 miles, my latest sample is at ~5000...
Something else I have been doing is placing neodymium, or hard drive magnets, on the outside of the oil filter to assist in trapping metals there as well...
I now have 103,055 miles on her...

I have mention consumption in another post that I just started seeing that I suspect is related to AFM see this link https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...e-range-70463/
Old February 20th, 2015, 6:16 PM
Administrator

Results back from Blackstone look better with this report using a shorter oil change, went from 8,500 to a 5,000 oil change with M1, I also had added a neodymium magnet to the outside of the oil filter at the last oil change so that could have helped the iron reading but the other metals also dropped like lead and the magnet won't affect that.
I would be more suspect of the oil filter needing to be changed rather then the oil itself... this has been mentioned in other post as well...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
07 TAHOE-020715markup.pdf (28.2 KB, 208 views)
Old February 20th, 2015, 8:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Interesting. Gonna try a filter only change at the halfway point?

Quick Reply: First oil change in 7 years / Oil analysts by Blackstone