Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

1991 Silverado Runs Wont Move

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2022, 9:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 Silverado Runs Wont Move

I have a 1991 Chevy SIlverado 1500. Starts fine, engine runs mostly fine (get to that at a later date). Here's my issue:

I was driving it today and it just stopped moving. I put it into gear... nothing happens. My very limited mechanical skills tell me that the transmission isn't engaging. Wanted to see what you guys think the issue might be. Note that it doesn't matter what gear I put it into, it doesn't work in any of them. It just sits there. If I need to provide more info, please let me know. I'm hoping to avoid having to buy a new transmission or rebuild this one, but if there's no way around it... it is what it is.
Old June 25th, 2022, 1:11 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by trukc
I have a 1991 Chevy SIlverado 1500. Starts fine, engine runs mostly fine (get to that at a later date). Here's my issue:

I was driving it today and it just stopped moving. I put it into gear... nothing happens. My very limited mechanical skills tell me that the transmission isn't engaging. Wanted to see what you guys think the issue might be. Note that it doesn't matter what gear I put it into, it doesn't work in any of them. It just sits there. If I need to provide more info, please let me know. I'm hoping to avoid having to buy a new transmission or rebuild this one, but if there's no way around it... it is what it is.
Can you find someone with an ODB I scan tool that reads the TCM? A private mechanic will most likely be of help for you, IMO..
Old June 25th, 2022, 9:31 AM
CF Beginner

Default Well, she sounds right dickered

Originally Posted by trukc

Hey there!

Not saying your present non-mobility issue is related to what MY issue was, but heres the skinny:

If you installed a shift kit, (as I had) and not properly confirmed the modified pressure regulator and snap ring are 100% double no-Backsies seated, well, that regulator will not mount up, as the kids say,.

it WILL blow into the trans pan, it will frustrate, but alas, twas by mine own hand I doth hot rodded and also cack handed my own work.

If you have not made the problem I had as listed above, I would think maybe transmission pump leak/failure? if you have a way old style trans pan theres a slim chances of 2 different depths, which could potentially result in low fluid levels beyond what the dip stick says.
there also could be the issue of the trans fluid filter saying "nope" and falling out if its O ring seal, which provides the actual fluid connection through the filter and into the whole hydraulic circuitry of the trans.

to try and simplifyL:

1. short filter or filter fall out of port inside trans fluid pan = no way for fluid to get to the cooler or to the pump/torque converter/valve body etc etc.
2. If it was also by your own hand, that like myself, mistakes have been made, then Id say drop the trans pan as careful as ya can. The parts if they fell out of their homes and havent gone to smitthereens should be chilling in the trans fluid.
sorta like the crappiest version of bobbing for apples ever.

the following is 4l60/80/85e related ONLY, so far as I am aware.

I hope this helps, so far as I know otherwise, the only mechanical failures that stop the momentum are:
1. Sprag clutch = 1 way clutch, basically comes apart, **** sucks, usually reults in 3rd and reverse or something strange as gear selections
2. Utterly smoked clutches, which should be evident in the gnarly smelling gear oil-esque stank of the current fluid condition.
3. Maybe some input/output shafts and whatnot, but that sort of stuff only tends to crap the bed when one... how you say.... "Hooons....."

best of luck, sonnax has a killer deal on a stage 2 5 pinion 4l85e trans.

i dont happen to have the 4500 bucks just right this second. You can Spec out a sonnax rebuild kit with seals and clutches and some upgraded gears and whatnot if thats the sort of mechanical ability you marinate at.
Old June 25th, 2022, 9:33 AM
CF Beginner

Probably a thing worth picking up anyway.
Old June 25th, 2022, 9:39 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Can you find someone with an ODB I scan tool that reads the TCM? A private mechanic will most likely be of help for you, IMO..
Probably worth picking up anyway.

Old June 27th, 2022, 11:44 AM
CF Beginner

Would this be my linkage / shifter cable or something else related to the problem?

Old June 30th, 2022, 2:31 AM
CF Beginner

That there looks to me like a parking brake cable. Although that doesnt meant the parking brakes aren't locked on solid. I presently don't have my phone handy, so I cant get a picture of my own shift cable for ya right this second. I will try to get that posted this evening.

Also, I don't remember if I said anything about making sure the transfer case isnt in neutral if the vehicle is a 4WD. Especially in the rust belt the electric engagement motors have trouble moving, as the pins aren't well protected from salty roads. Potentially the driveline is fine?

Does the truck labor under throttle revs or does it sound like its freely revving? if it labors, I would think perhaps the parking brakes are locked up, but it should have enough jam to power past them, which I think you likely would have found.
Freely revving would seem to be more like broken stuff OR the aforementioned 4WD transfer case not fully in 2WD hi or 4WDhi/lo.
I don't remember perfectly if that year had a manual handle for the transfer case or if it was vaccuum actuated or electric. i know my 1998 and 1999 have the electric engagement, and both have a separate neutral on the case plus a neutral for the transmission to get into.

Rambly rambly, basically you might could be in 1 of 2 total neutrals, IF its 4WD.

Last edited by DjiboutiMibouti; June 30th, 2022 at 2:38 AM.
Old July 5th, 2022, 3:31 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by DjiboutiMibouti
That there looks to me like a parking brake cable. Although that doesnt meant the parking brakes aren't locked on solid. I presently don't have my phone handy, so I cant get a picture of my own shift cable for ya right this second. I will try to get that posted this evening.

Also, I don't remember if I said anything about making sure the transfer case isnt in neutral if the vehicle is a 4WD. Especially in the rust belt the electric engagement motors have trouble moving, as the pins aren't well protected from salty roads. Potentially the driveline is fine?

Does the truck labor under throttle revs or does it sound like its freely revving? if it labors, I would think perhaps the parking brakes are locked up, but it should have enough jam to power past them, which I think you likely would have found.
Freely revving would seem to be more like broken stuff OR the aforementioned 4WD transfer case not fully in 2WD hi or 4WDhi/lo.
I don't remember perfectly if that year had a manual handle for the transfer case or if it was vaccuum actuated or electric. i know my 1998 and 1999 have the electric engagement, and both have a separate neutral on the case plus a neutral for the transmission to get into.

Rambly rambly, basically you might could be in 1 of 2 total neutrals, IF its 4WD.
Four-wheel drive in my old Jeep CJ-5 was cool. The transfer case had what I call "2-low". It wasn't marked on the shift ****, but you could have two-wheel drive in the low position. It was a Borg-Warner unit. It had manual locking hubs, so you could drive it like that, but I mostly just used it backing up, without feathering the clutch, as it was a four speed manual, no overdrive, just a granny-gear. You could lug the hell out of it, as the 258 cubic inch motor was solid as a rock. These new Jeeps make me sick, how much junk they have on them. A Jeep was never intended to be like a car or pickup truck, but I love my K-1500 Chevy. She's been a great pickup that has not needed much work over the years.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; July 5th, 2022 at 3:36 AM.