Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

1997 k1500 z71 350 4l60e STUCK IN LIMP MODE!! HELP PLEASE!!

Search this Thread

Old June 22nd, 2016, 6:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 k1500 z71 350 4l60e STUCK IN LIMP MODE!! HELP PLEASE!!

Hi all,

It has been a long time since my last post, I have been lucky with my truck I guess. I replaced my transmission on my 97 k1500 a few months ago, it was running fine untill my spedo stopped working and it then went into limp mode. I took it back to the shop and they found nothing wrong and i got it back with everything working properly. I have the problem again but trans is out of warranty so Im on my own. I had a code for the speed sensor. I changed the sensor located at rear of transfer case and had no luck. I also had an abs light so i changed wheel speed sensors behind front rotors and still no luck. Any one have a clue whats going on here? I need to get my truck to go faster than 35, LOL.

any help or advice would really help.
Thanks everyone!!
Old October 1st, 2016, 8:05 AM
CF Beginner

Default 4I60e problems

Originally Posted by jas0n85
Hi all,

It has been a long time since my last post, I have been lucky with my truck I guess. I replaced my transmission on my 97 k1500 a few months ago, it was running fine untill my spedo stopped working and it then went into limp mode. I took it back to the shop and they found nothing wrong and i got it back with everything working properly. I have the problem again but trans is out of warranty so Im on my own. I had a code for the speed sensor. I changed the sensor located at rear of transfer case and had no luck. I also had an abs light so i changed wheel speed sensors behind front rotors and still no luck. Any one have a clue whats going on here? I need to get my truck to go faster than 35, LOL.

any help or advice would really help.
Thanks everyone!!

Im working on a 03 astro van with similar problems. Ive done quite a bit of investigation and found alot of the cures have been changing the 2-3 shift silinoid and changing the tps im doing this on Monday when i get back to the shop. Will change and post results.
Old February 7th, 2017, 8:16 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jas0n85

This may be a similar problem that I had recently, "your tach/speedo is non existent along with your PRNDL indicator lamp not being lit corrrect"? throwing some codes for your transmission and stuck in say 3rd gear and is very hard to accelerate? and also going say 40-55mph at near 2500RPM by sound since you dont have a tach working.

it could be a short in your ignition wiring harness, your key tumbler may be creating a short, a short in the wiring that goes down to your transmission itself, or it could be a faulty wiring for your solenoids on your transmission itself
The following users liked this post:
tinybird (January 30th, 2020)
Old February 11th, 2017, 5:19 PM
CF Beginner

1997 Silverado 1500. I had my tranny rebuilt and I installed it. While I had it up in the air I let it run, warm up, ran through all the gears. I put it on the ground and it acted like it was slipping then go fine and then slip again. I drove it 5 miles and the tach, odometer, PRNDL lite went out and blowing the PRNDL fuse (#20) on my truck.. I had to limp home in 1st gear. I called the tranny guy, he said I pinched a wire. I've checked and rechecked for that. I get on other forums and everyone is saying ignition switch. I replaced the $175. item and it didn't help at all. I've pulled the brake fuse for 15 mins. forum advice said to pull it for at least 5 min. Someone else said disconnect the white connecter behind the glove compartment for 5 min. Any help would be appreciated.
Old September 21st, 2017, 8:49 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry not sure how to start my own post !
1997 2 wheel drive suburban 350 4l60e transmission I think
Here is my problem she ran and drive fine then just out of the blue she would not shift in to drive or over drive we pulled over tried to back in to a parking spot would not back up ! Sat about 20 minutes started her up she shifted fine had all the gears . Drove about 8 minutes and it did it again . When she looses 3/4/r the motor runs very ruff like she is only firing on about 4 of the 8 cylinders no check engine or codes have came up ! What am I over looking ?
Old January 30th, 2020, 10:44 PM
CF Beginner

Default Caused my limp, hot to ground, that was a red wire too

Originally Posted by chris29445
jas0n85

This may be a similar problem that I had recently, "your tach/speedo is non existent along with your PRNDL indicator lamp not being lit corrrect"? throwing some codes for your transmission and stuck in say 3rd gear and is very hard to accelerate? and also going say 40-55mph at near 2500RPM by sound since you dont have a tach working.

it could be a short in your ignition wiring harness, your key tumbler may be creating a short, a short in the wiring that goes down to your transmission itself, or it could be a faulty wiring for your solenoids on your transmission itself

Last edited by tinybird; January 30th, 2020 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Added wire color
Old July 23rd, 2020, 12:11 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tinybird
where exactly did you find this? I’m having the same exact issues and am looking for a short to ground myself