Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

98 k2500 brake problem

Search this Thread

Old December 16th, 2020, 12:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 268 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Sabino56
If one of the pistons in MC had bad seal, wouldn’t the pedal still be firm if outlets blocked? If piston closest to pushrod was bad you’d have a bit more pedal travel but it would firm up. If piston furthest from pushrod was bad you wouldn’t be able to tell by blocking outlets.
I think if you want to test MC by capping outlets you have to cap one, catch the other and then swap and cap the other, catch the other.
Not saying it’s the MC, sounds like air given you say it can firm up eventually by pumping pedal.
It wouldn’t matter if only one of the piston seals is bad. The hydraulic pressure has to be equal between both circuits, otherwise the fluid would flow back into the reservoir through the port of whichever circuit has the bad seal, and the pedal would sink.

I should’ve clarified my earlier statement as well - it’s not that the MC couldn’t possibly be the problem, but since the pedal is firm with the ports blocked off, it’s unlikely the MC is to blame.
Old December 20th, 2020, 2:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a chance to take another look at it today. The front small section of the reservoir was almost empty. I topped everything off and pinched the rubber hoses off one at a a time. It seemed maybe like it would pump up quicker with the passenger side blocked off. When I started bleeding the calipers again, the small section of the reservoir would get really low again. Isn't that supposed to be for the back brakes? I don't see any leaks anywhere in the lines. There is dampness around where the reservoir meets the body. The seals are curled up on the edges.

Last edited by 982500; December 20th, 2020 at 3:57 PM.
Old December 22nd, 2020, 1:04 PM
CF Beginner

Is it possible that this truck needs to be hooked up to a scanner to bleed the brakes?
Old December 22nd, 2020, 4:49 PM
CF Active Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

A quick question, are the calipers on right? Bleeder at the high point of the caliper. The calipers can be put on either side and if put on the wrong side the bleeder will be low and you will never get them bled because air will be trapped above the bleeder.
Old December 23rd, 2020, 1:15 AM
CF Beginner

I've done a bunch of breakwork on my POVs, is this probably the original master cylinder? I've found that the originals tend to fail when bleeding, probably knocking loose the structural rust and goop...

If you disconnect one of the brake lines and can gravity bleed it (showing there isn't a blockage) the next thing id do is try to pump it in to a container while disconnected. If you don't get a massive rush of brake fluid, then mc is probably toast.

Firstly though, are you following proper bleeding procedure? Closest to MC to furthest away?
Old December 23rd, 2020, 9:09 AM
CF Active Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeHos
Firstly though, are you following proper bleeding procedure? Closest to MC to furthest away?
Furthest away first, working towards closest is the correct procedure.
Old December 23rd, 2020, 10:05 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Little Bear
Furthest away first, working towards closest is the correct procedure.
yeah what he said! Whoops
Old December 23rd, 2020, 12:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 268 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by 982500
Got a chance to take another look at it today. The front small section of the reservoir was almost empty. I topped everything off and pinched the rubber hoses off one at a a time. It seemed maybe like it would pump up quicker with the passenger side blocked off. When I started bleeding the calipers again, the small section of the reservoir would get really low again. Isn't that supposed to be for the back brakes? I don't see any leaks anywhere in the lines. There is dampness around where the reservoir meets the body. The seals are curled up on the edges.
Losing fluid that quickly would be seen more clearly than a little dampness.

Check the rear drums for signs of fluid leaking at the bottom - if one of the wheel cylinders is leaking, it will run out the bottom of the drum and pool around the wheel.

The rear line runs along the driver frame rail and above the gas tank - it’s very common for them to rust out near the gas tank without leaking badly enough to spray fluid everywhere, so inspect the frame rail for wet spots. If there’s a tank shield it may be helpful to remove it.

Originally Posted by 982500
Is it possible that this truck needs to be hooked up to a scanner to bleed the brakes?
A scanner would allow you to bleed the ABS modulator valve, but it would require a Bosch Tech 2 or equivalent - if you’re going to buy something, make sure it’s capable of performing specific functions. Expect to spend $500 or more.

The general rule is that the ABS doesn’t have to be bled unless it’s been taken apart or replaced and air has been allowed to enter it. That said, I’ve found it helpful on some trucks to perform an ABS bleed after brake work and it helps stiffen the pedal.
Old December 23rd, 2020, 3:05 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks everybody for all the great info. Little Bear, you were right, I had the calipers on the wrong side. Not sure why I didn't double check part numbers. Great learning experience.
Merry Christmas!