Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Auxiliary Fan?

Search this Thread

Old September 30th, 2022, 12:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Auxiliary Fan?

1993 Silverado C3500HD 6.5 turbo diesel.

I have seen pictures of an auxiilary fan unit for cooling on the front of the condenser/radiator area. It works as a pusher fan.

Does anyone know if this unit is one that is compatible with my model of vehicle?

Old September 30th, 2022, 2:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 268 Likes on 233 Posts

It looks like the stock fan, so it should be. If your truck wasn’t originally equipped with the fan, measure the distance between the upper and lower radiator supports as well as the distance between the radiator and nearest point on the engine. Compare those measurements to the fan to make sure it will fit.

If it’s having issues with running hot at idle, try washing the condenser and radiator fins using a garden hose from the engine side.

Last edited by Gumby22; September 30th, 2022 at 2:42 PM.
Old September 30th, 2022, 3:21 PM
CF Beginner

The 6.5 is notorious for having a problem eliminating coolant heat. I have purchased the 130GPH water pump to replace the stock 80GPH version. It is said that this will keep the two cylinder banks equal in cooling.

An after-market fan clutch and fan is recommended. I may do that down the road.

However, it seems like it would be better to have after-market electric fans, but there are none for that truck. That leaves adding the condenser helper fan.

I just don't know if it will fit. So back to my question.
Old September 30th, 2022, 10:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 268 Likes on 233 Posts

I can’t answer your question about fitment with any certainty which is why I suggested taking measurements of your truck and comparing them to the dimensions of the fan. Websites like rock auto, summit racing, LMC truck and others often provide dimensions.

What I can say with certainty is that cooling systems are the most commonly ignored systems on vehicles; so unless you’re the original owner or know for certain that your truck has been properly maintained, I recommend you consider more than just a high flow water pump and auxiliary fan.

Of course there are benefits in using said products, but if the block and radiator have significant debris/sludge accumulation in the coolant jackets, and the radiator can’t dissipate heat because the fins are stuffed full of dirt, feathers, and insects, it’s not unreasonable to conclude that a new water pump and fan would only be masking the root cause of the problem.

To be clear, I’m not saying you shouldn’t install those parts.

I’m just suggesting you consider doing other things to improve cooling system performance in addition to the new parts.
Old October 6th, 2022, 1:35 PM
CF Beginner

Yes, there are other things to consider, but we often overlook them.

I was replacing the radiator when I noticed that the A/C condenser's fins were smashed down on the radiator side. I would guess that at least a third of the surface was closed to air flow. One would not notice this unless the radiator was out.

I used a fin comb to help open it up a bit, but realized that the fins were beginning to rot and there was no way to save it all.

The interesting thing was that it ran very cool now: but with summer over I will have to wait until next year to test it out in the heat again. The new radiator warranty required a cooling system flush, so that helped too. Over all, I may not need the auxiliary fan.