Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

A/C Problems

Search this Thread

Old July 26th, 2021, 7:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Problems

Hello I have a 2004 Silverado 4.3l. Just recently my air conditioning went out. I changed out the compressor and accumulator and still nothing. The only time it works is when I’m accelerating the truck and even like that it doesn’t blow much. I ran out of things to do to it, can someone help me diagnose this problem?
Old July 29th, 2021, 3:09 PM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We have 0 idea what your HVAC skills are so don't know where to start.

Are you sure you vacuumed the system and filled it with the right amount of freon correctly?

Why would you change a working compressor? It's difficult costs allot. That makes no sense whatsoever.
Old July 29th, 2021, 4:09 PM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You didn't say if your PSI is target and free on non-condensibles, what the original diagnosis was (if there was ever a leak), or anything...

Feel the compressor line. Should be (slightly) warm at exit of condenser. Don't feel the top of the condenser, it will be too hot to touch.

Feel the evaporator return line. Should be colder than beer, say, 40-50 or less.

If they are not, then you have an AC problem. If they are - then you may have an cabin AC Controls problem.

If you have a controls issue the first thing to check is that the mixer door is not stuck (which would let in hot air and make a working AC appear to be doing nothing)
Old July 29th, 2021, 4:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not a mechanic but I do love working on cars. I am sorry for not giving y’all the proper information but the problem has been fixed. It was kind of common sense actually. As I stated before, the air coming out of the vents blew only when I was accelerating meaning everything worked except the part that pushes the air out trough the vents, which is the blower motor.