Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

cranks over but no start occasionally

Search this Thread

Old January 18th, 2021, 7:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cranks over but no start occasionally

I am running out of money and options here. So 2004 chevy silverado 2500 hd Ls 6.0 L barely turn the key fires right up most of the time. Once in a while but often enough to be irritating turn the key and let go like normal but starter keeps cranking with no start. Will usually start with a little effort the next try if not then for sure on the third try. Truck has a brand new crate motor installed, brand new fuel pump, new camshaft sensor, new crankshaft sensor, 3 new fuel injectors, new fuel rail o rings, new spark plugs, new wires, new coils, new PCM, new mass air flow sensor, new cold air intake, new fuse box, new ignition switch, I am pretty sure the o2 sensors were replaced in the last year as well. What the Heck can it be???
Old January 20th, 2021, 8:13 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 93 Likes on 84 Posts

Have you checked your fuel pressure regulator for proper operation and leaks?
Old January 20th, 2021, 10:09 AM
CF Monarch

Received 352 Likes on 333 Posts

What you describe sounds like a bad check valve in the fuel pump assembly. What brand of fuel pump did you install? I have heard many times that the off brand pumps fail rather quickly. You can try spraying some starter fluid or gas into the throttle body and if it starts right away every time you spray it, then you do have the check valve problem.
Old January 20th, 2021, 3:04 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

Not sure regarding your explanation of ,"let go and the starter keeps cranking".

If you mean the starter keeps attempting to crank the engine over, then one way to hopefully pin down what is happening would be to verify whether the problem is originating from the ign sw or the starter solenoid is hanging up in the energized position.
Old January 21st, 2021, 8:54 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
What you describe sounds like a bad check valve in the fuel pump assembly. What brand of fuel pump did you install? I have heard many times that the off brand pumps fail rather quickly. You can try spraying some starter fluid or gas into the throttle body and if it starts right away every time you spray it, then you do have the check valve problem.
I had a shop put the fuel pump in so not sure of the brand but i was having this issue before the fuel pump installation.
Old January 21st, 2021, 9:03 PM
CF Beginner

Had a new ignition switch installed and the starter is fine. Its more like the computer tells the starter to keep cranking because of no start. Its like you hold the key in the start position yet I am not. Took it to chevy service department and they cannot figure it out. I have been throwing money at their guesswork ideas only to fall short and im getting frustrated to say the least. Took it to them because they should know chevy inside and out yet here they are throwing guesses on my dime.
Old January 22nd, 2021, 6:59 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

This is simple to check out. What should be done is to connect a voltmeter to each of the connections of the path power to the starter solenoid takes and isolate each connection from the system .
There is a good possibility the wire/terminal connector at the starter solenoid is too close to the battery cable power supply to the solenoid on the starter.This would allow power to the solenoid when it should not get power except when the key is turned to the start position.