Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

fog light switch

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2020, 2:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fog light switch

my fog light switch is not turning on my fog lights, when i push the button it wont stay pushed in like the cargo light switch above it, am i missing something or should it stay pushed in?
Old August 7th, 2020, 6:16 PM
CF Active Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Push on push off, if they are on and you turn off the key you will have to turn them on again the next time you start the engine. I'm also thinking that the headlights have to be on, not daytime running lights for the fogs to come on. Also fogs are off when hi beams are on.

Last edited by Little Bear; August 7th, 2020 at 6:17 PM. Reason: added to
Old August 8th, 2020, 8:34 AM
CF Beginner

thanks for the info, im still not able to get them to come on...checked the fuse, its still good, going to check the relay...is there more than one fuse or relay connected to the fog lights? i need to get an owners manual!
Old August 8th, 2020, 9:49 AM
CF Active Member

One fuse/relay. Believe the relay is in the engine compartment, have you checked the bulbs?
Old August 8th, 2020, 1:57 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Little Bear
One fuse/relay. Believe the relay is in the engine compartment, have you checked the bulbs?
i just put brand new housing and lights on it...the old ones were blown and the lenses were missing...im going to change the relay tomorrow. thank you for the info...if i dont figure it out, ill definitely shout out again!
Old August 9th, 2020, 11:31 AM
CF Beginner

i just put new relay in still no lights...im stumped...new housing, bulbs, fuse, relay, switch...now what? ive looked up the fuses and only see the one fuse and one relay under the hood...is there another fuse that i havent checked? maybe in the dash? do these have an inline fuse maybe? any help would be greatly appreciated...the next step will have to be put it in the garage, cant afford it right now, so it may have to wait...again thanks in advance for any support...
Old August 9th, 2020, 5:55 PM
CF Active Member

Looking at the wiring diagram, the fog lamp relay gets power from the parking lamp relay, so the lights have to be on, are your parking lights coming on? The signal also goes to the BCM (body control module), which also has inputs from the ambient light sensor (auto headlight turn on/off) high beams and several others. I just checked mine to be sure, engine off, headlights on, lo beam, fog lights operate correctly. So my next step would be to make sure that I am getting power to the fog lamp relay with the headlights on, if not check the parking lamp relay. If that checks good then the problem must be in the BCM which supplies the grounds for the relays to operate.
Old August 9th, 2020, 6:12 PM
CF Beginner

ok, i will check...all my other lights work, just not the fog lights! everything comes on like it supposed to, just not the fog lights! i appreciate your input!