Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

OMG!!!! What a Rattle

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2008, 9:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMG!!!! What a Rattle

ok my truck now has this rattle has been doing it for about a month. The first thing you guys are gonna say yep its your bugshield but wait! The only time it does it is 55+mph and it sounds like it is coming from right on the other side of the windshield if you are sitting in the drivers seat ( like right under the driver side windshield wiper underneath the plastic skirting). Hope you guys are still with me on this lol. This is the weird part when you run windshield wiper fluid it goes away!! for maybe 15min or so. So I was like yep I bet there is something underneath the plastic piece I take it off as much as I could, I couldn't get the windshield wiper off but got it pried up enough on both ends to spary some silicone lubricant up under it at a few different spots. Still didn't help it the only thing that helps it is windshield wiper fluid I have went through like 6 gals of wiper fluid in a month lol. Its an 04 silverado anyone else have this problem or hear of it???
Old February 15th, 2008, 1:29 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: OMG!!!! What a Rattle

bump

Old February 15th, 2008, 1:49 PM
CF Active Member

try taking the wipers off, i know you said you couldnt but, take the nut off and if its stuck take a punch, or if you dont have one take a scredriver and a hammer and hit that stud, not too hard and it should knock it kind of loose and the wiper should come off. i have never ran into this problem befor but maybe someone else on this forum has, just check around and make sure nothing on the wiper motor is loosse
Old February 18th, 2008, 7:27 AM
CF Junior Member

i have the exact saem rattle but on my nbs 07 z71. the rattle doesn't start until you reach about 60. sometimes it is on the drivers side and sometimes on the passenger side. this may sound funny but the rattle is a lot worse when driving into a strong wind at 60+ mph. with no wind the rattle is less obvious.
Old February 18th, 2008, 3:57 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take the wipers off and bang with your hand all around the area where you suspect it is vibrating. i had a rattle i swore was in the dash for the last few months but i could not find it then just before i was about to kick the dash in i started banging around the entire area and by removing the door panel where i determined it was coming from i found it was the speaker in the door?????? vibrations have a way of throwing you off you gotta take your time listen carfully and beat the hell out the area thats making noise until you find it
Old February 18th, 2008, 4:00 PM
CF Junior Member

yeah i swore it was the dash for the longest time - the part that runs along the bottom edge of the windshield on the inside but i would push on it as it rattled and it didnt' stop. i think it is from the wiper area.
Old February 18th, 2008, 9:38 PM
CF Beginner

My Dad's 04 has a similar rattle on the passenger side. I spent nearly a 5 hour trip down to TX tryin to locate it. As stated earlier it gets much worse while driving into a headwind at high speeds. I actually rolled down the window and lifted up the wiper while driving and it continued to rattle. This is going to sound a little strange but I'm almost positive it is coming from inside the A pillaran inch or two abovethe dash.
Old September 8th, 2008, 8:05 PM
CF Junior Member

mine still rattles from the same area. anyone figure this one out?
Old September 13th, 2008, 8:42 PM
e
CF Senior Member

on the 04 chevy, take masking tape and apply it to the outer rubber strip that runs vertically along the edge of the windshield. Basically tape the entire edge that meets the window.Do both sides are hit the road. If the noise goes away you can apply 3m double sided tape under the molding to the windshield. I've also seen the two little rubber flaps around the hood hingesonthe cowl area rattle as well but usually are not the cause. But I'm leaning more towards the two outer vertical moldings.....Tape is a quick check to rule it out......e
Old September 14th, 2008, 9:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've got an 04 2500HD, never noticed the rattle, but I changed to snow blades this year. Any possibility it's the spray arms for the washer fluid?

Quick Reply: OMG!!!! What a Rattle