Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

OMG!!!! What a Rattle

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2008, 9:46 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OMG!!!! What a Rattle

dealer fixed it this morning. the main rattle was the one outside - they resealed the molding around the windshield and it stopped the rattle. they also found some clips under/behind the dash that were not secured.

all is quiet now.
Old December 4th, 2010, 8:05 AM
CF Beginner

I also have had a 2004 Silverado with this same issue, and traded it in for a brand new 2010 Silverado crew cab and the noise problem seemed to be gone at first. 5000 miles later I have the same noise at, the same speeds, coming from the same spot . I work in a collision shop as a painter and have always been able to find a problem or have one of our tecs figure it out, but this one is really driving me crazy. I have done the same with the washer fluid, just this past thursday and it seemed go away for a few miles and then come right back. Starting to think twice about the Silverado. Same issue with the same truck from at least 2004 till now! Wonder if the 2011 Silverado will have this issue as well? Good luck to us all!!!
Old December 28th, 2015, 12:02 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2014 HD Diesel Dashboard Rattle

I have the same problem with a loud crackling rattle coming from underneath the dashboard. This on my '14 Chevy 2500HD diesel truck. It happens at 60+ mph and not so evident in the cold temps but it's loud on warm days. Hoping the dealership fixes this under warranty. Tip: Go on the test drive to make sure the technician doesn't say he/she can't duplicate the problem. It happened to me twice! They also like to blame the bug deflector so take it off before you take in the vehicle.

Last edited by Cardiac Cats; December 28th, 2015 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Left our brand of truck
Old December 29th, 2015, 10:32 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Cardiac Cats
I have the same problem with a loud crackling rattle coming from underneath the dashboard. This on my '14 Chevy 2500HD diesel truck. It happens at 60+ mph and not so evident in the cold temps but it's loud on warm days. Hoping the dealership fixes this under warranty. Tip: Go on the test drive to make sure the technician doesn't say he/she can't duplicate the problem. It happened to me twice! They also like to blame the bug deflector so take it off before you take in the vehicle.
I posted my fix somewhere in the threads, went around a thousand miles with the same rattle, I stopped every 60 or so miles and taped up different areas on the inside of the hood and outside of good. Long story short as stated wind somehow was diverted from the BUG GUARD under the side window pullers under the plastic strips which created the noise, However I have discovered recently that without the BUG GUARD the noise is a non issue. Hope this helps someone.