Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Shift Indicator Slow to Respond

Search this Thread

Old August 4th, 2023, 4:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift Indicator Slow to Respond

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4WD (8 Cylinders V 4.8L MFI OHV 294 CID)
My shift indicator is slow to respond when the lever is moved. It actually goes into the gear that is chosen based on the shift notches on the lever. It shifts as it should, no hesitation and starts when the lever is in the park and neutral positions, back up lights work and no other problems other than the indicator. The Transmission Pressure Switch (TPS) shows the right gear selection when I read it with my Autel 808 scanner reading the TPS readings. I am not sure what actually makes the LED indicator light the proper reading? As I said, everything works exactly as it should except for the PRNDL indicator. In VA it is required for state safety inspection...VIN 2GCEK19V42137XXXX
Any ideas?
Thanks, Budd

Last edited by Budd C; August 4th, 2023 at 5:06 PM.
Old August 4th, 2023, 10:30 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

So I think the issue may be a solenoid under your dash. I may be wrong, this may not be the right thing, but it could be a starting point for finding the culprit, maybe there's a testing procedure for it if you can uncover what its name is. I couldn't find it in my FSM, so I'm not sure. Googling its part number ought to reveal some insight. Check this video for some clarity:
Old August 5th, 2023, 12:18 PM
CF Beginner

I'll check it, but it goes into gears like it should to include Park. In reading the TPS read out on my scanner it shows it's going into all gears as it should. It's just that the read out (PRDL) is very slow to catch up with the lever movement. The transmission responds perfectly and as quickly as I move the shift lever. But I'll check... Thanks for trying, Budd
Old August 5th, 2023, 10:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My thought was that the solenoid may be what gives the signal for the PRDL indicator, but it may just be a solenoid that tells the ECU (or TCM, if it has one?) what gear it's in.
Old August 6th, 2023, 10:51 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jw11432
My thought was that the solenoid may be what gives the signal for the PRDL indicator, but it may just be a solenoid that tells the ECU (or TCM, if it has one?) what gear it's in.
It shifts perfect and it starts in park and neutral and the backup lights work perfect. It's just that the shift indicator reacts very slowly to where the lever is. It goes into gear instantly when the lever is moved. Using my MK808 scanner it shows that the TPS circuit is working properly and shows the lever placement when it's moved to any position. The LEDS light up but are real slow to respond.
Old March 15th, 2024, 1:35 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Budd C
It shifts perfect and it starts in park and neutral and the backup lights work perfect. It's just that the shift indicator reacts very slowly to where the lever is. It goes into gear instantly when the lever is moved. Using my MK808 scanner it shows that the TPS circuit is working properly and shows the lever placement when it's moved to any position. The LEDS light up but are real slow to respond.
Did u ever find out what the problem was? I seem to be having the same exact issue, shifts perfectly fine but lags on the indicator when the lever is moved, it also shows that its in reverse when in park although its definitely in park?