Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

A/C ,Heat, blows from defrost vents only (Solved)

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2022, 1:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat blows from defrost only

Originally Posted by Stormyj
Hi all,
First time post and new guy. I had this problem and did some research online. About 95% said the actuator was bad and needed to be replaced. Its kind of a pain to replace the actuator and costs about $50 or so. Saw the following online and tried it. Low and behold it worked. It seems the actuators get stuck sometimes when the battery is disconnected and they go some kind of reset or recalibration. So, all of a sudden you find it starts acting funny or just stays in one vent and wont change. I had this very same problem, and this fixed it.

I had a similar issue. Air would only blow out of defrost vents after I replaced my battery. But this worked for me:

1) Unplug HVAC fuse for 10-30 seconds
2) Start truck
3) A/C comes out defrost - wait about 10 to 15 secs. If not, cycle the distribution **** ( for lack of a better term), the one that selects which vent it comes out of. I had to do this before it would cycle.
4) A/C then starts coming out the floor vents for about 5 seconds
5) A/C then starts coming out the dash vents.
6) While the A/C is coming out the dash vents, turn A/C OFF (otherwise it cycles back to defrost for good).
7) Turn truck OFF
8) Restart truck and it should work fine

I did this and everything works fine now. Dont know for how long, but its better than fighting with the actuator, panels and pitching out $50. Good luck.
  • worked for me!
  • was about to pull the dash to replace actuator
Old September 19th, 2022, 5:35 AM
CF Beginner

Dear Stormyj,
Thank you for your post. Just a question: What did you do with the fuse? You said,
1) unplug HVAC fuse for 10-30 Seconds.
2) Start the truck
My question: Shall I put back the HVAC fuse after 10-30 seconds before starting the truck OR start without putting the fuse? In this case, when should I put the fuse back?

I will appreciate any elaboration on this, PLEASE HELP!!
Old January 19th, 2024, 7:47 PM
CF Beginner

Default HVAC Fuse

This is great advice and I want to try it, but I'm feeling pretty dumb right now...I cannot find the HVAC fuse, where the heck is it???

Hi all,
First time post and new guy. I had this problem and did some research online. About 95% said the actuator was bad and needed to be replaced. Its kind of a pain to replace the actuator and costs about $50 or so. Saw the following online and tried it. Low and behold it worked. It seems the actuators get stuck sometimes when the battery is disconnected and they go some kind of reset or recalibration. So, all of a sudden you find it starts acting funny or just stays in one vent and wont change. I had this very same problem, and this fixed it.

I had a similar issue. Air would only blow out of defrost vents after I replaced my battery. But this worked for me:

2) Start truck
3) A/C comes out defrost - wait about 10 to 15 secs. If not, cycle the distribution **** ( for lack of a better term), the one that selects which vent it comes out of. I had to do this before it would cycle.
6) While the A/C is coming out the dash vents, turn A/C OFF (otherwise it cycles back to defrost for good).
7) Turn truck OFF

I did this and everything works fine now. Dont know for how long, but its better than fighting with the actuator, panels and pitching out $50. Good luck.
Old January 19th, 2024, 8:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 658 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by AK Chevy Chick
This is great advice and I want to try it, but I'm feeling pretty dumb right now...I cannot find the HVAC fuse, where the heck is it???
doesn't your fuse box lid have a map inside it? what about in your owner's manual?
Old February 3rd, 2024, 12:07 PM
CF Beginner

Tried both above and wont reset ???
Old February 3rd, 2024, 12:10 PM
CF Beginner

tried a good console and no difference
tried a new actuator - no difference can not get to reset.
its a 2000 Chevy suburban problem statt6ed when battery was disconnected.
Old February 14th, 2024, 10:45 AM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks for this

Hi all,
First time post and new guy.
10 years later, and I just had this for the first time. Created an account just to say thanks for posting it.
Old June 13th, 2024, 5:10 PM
CF Beginner

Hi all,

2) Start truck
7) Turn truck OFF

I wanted to try this, but when I opened up my fuse panel, I do not have a fuse in the HVAC plug-in so now I’m at a loss
Old June 13th, 2024, 6:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 658 Likes on 597 Posts

install one.