Notices
2019+ Silverado (GMT-T1) Section for all discussion related to the 2019+ Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra.

2019 6.2L stalls while driving, won't start

Search this Thread

Old July 20th, 2023, 4:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2019 6.2L stalls while driving, won't start

I have a 2019 new body with the 6.2L. Occasionally, it decides to shut off while driving which has not been fun in rush hour Boston traffic. I need to pull over, turn everything off and restart.

Sometimes it restarts, sometimes it just hits the starter for a fraction of a second and doesn't start.

Into the dealer for diagnosis: they found some old non-communication codes and cleared them, They then changed the batteries in the remotes and reprogrammed them. I paid $450 for the new batteries and the truck stalled on the way home and then wouldn't start this morning.

Back to the dealer with a towing bill. They want to throw a new starter in - but what does a starter have to do with stalling while driving??????

Anyone with a similar problem?
Old September 30th, 2023, 4:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help

Hey so I also have a 2019 new body 6.2 at4. My truck has never had any issues. 3 months ago I got 2 nee remotes programmed to the truck. Yesterday I was driving down a country road slowed down to turn and the truck stalled told me to shift to neutral and restart still nothing so I pulled it over tried the truck all the way off and it still won't crank. All the relays feel warm fuses by the battery are all good. Still nothing, what ended up fixing your truck?
Old September 30th, 2023, 4:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

How many miles?
Old September 30th, 2023, 5:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jscott1321
Hey so I also have a 2019 new body 6.2 at4. My truck has never had any issues. 3 months ago I got 2 nee remotes programmed to the truck. Yesterday I was driving down a country road slowed down to turn and the truck stalled told me to shift to neutral and restart still nothing so I pulled it over tried the truck all the way off and it still won't crank. All the relays feel warm fuses by the battery are all good. Still nothing, what ended up fixing your truck?
I spent $1,100 having the dealer try to fix it. Then, I found TSB 21-NA-149 which says they installed the wire harness without a clip because it was hard to install. They used this TSB and found that I had a frayed wire which they connected and it runs fine again. I appealed to GM and they are refunding me about half of the cost I paid.

Here is the TSB: 21-NA-149 1..30 (nhtsa.gov)

Last edited by Delazuche; September 30th, 2023 at 5:25 PM. Reason: add link
The following users liked this post:
mountainmanjoe (September 30th, 2023)
Old September 30th, 2023, 5:43 PM
Super Moderator

I would have insisted on a full refund. known defect on a 4 year old vehicle, and dealers are supposed to know their TSBs.
Old October 2nd, 2023, 8:01 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
How many miles?
some where between 85k and 88k
Old October 2nd, 2023, 8:08 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for letting me know about this. I tried some easy things like a battery and starter relay. Checked all fuses. I'm at a complete lose. I am gonna see if I can get it towed today.
Old October 3rd, 2023, 3:31 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Delazuche
I spent $1,100 having the dealer try to fix it. Then, I found TSB 21-NA-149 which says they installed the wire harness without a clip because it was hard to install. They used this TSB and found that I had a frayed wire which they connected and it runs fine again. I appealed to GM and they are refunding me about half of the cost I paid.

Here is the TSB: 21-NA-149 1..30 (nhtsa.gov)
so I finally gave up and got it to a dealship they had it for about two hours and I was told it was the starter and the fuse box was bad so it is gonna be 900 something for repairs
Old October 3rd, 2023, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

don't go to dealerships. They'll rob you blind. Find a trusted a independent mechanic.
The following users liked this post:
Mikesdeuce (October 21st, 2023)
Old October 4th, 2023, 12:48 PM
CF Beginner

Default Reply

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
don't go to dealerships. They'll rob you blind. Find a trusted a independent mechanic.
Your 100 percent correct i live in a really small area there isnt very many option. Got the truck back like i said above I paid 900 for a new starter and fuse box put on. I drove less than a mile it kept shutting off. This morning they told me it is air filter replacement and engine assembly. I have only had this truck for 6 months and the bearings are bad in it. I just got an oil change a week before this all happened and the picture I was sent of the dip stick and the oil sample and there is so much metal. The truck showed no signs of issues or problems.

Quick Reply: 2019 6.2L stalls while driving, won't start