Notices
2019+ Silverado (GMT-T1) Section for all discussion related to the 2019+ Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra.

Dead/Flat Spot When Taking Off

Search this Thread

Old April 6th, 2023, 4:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead/Flat Spot When Taking Off

Trying to figure the best way to name this. My 2019 Chev Silverado LTZ 4x4 5.3 gas vehicle has a problem I have never encountered before. It typically happens after the truck has been backed up and then shifted into drive. I start to accelerate and then it just does a quick die out for about 1 second. I took it to the dealer and they kept it 4 weeks. Said they rebuilt the tranny. Immediately had the same issue and they kept it 2 weeks. This time they said they replaced the transmission. Got it back and still same issue. I am tempted to go for lemon law but really like this truck otherwise.

It has not stranded me, BUT, we recently purchased a travel trailer and really do not want to find out the hard way that this truck has some deep demons in the drive train. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

ALSO, instead of a new thread, are there any suggestions for towing a travel trailer? I haven't picked it up yet, but the travel trailer weighs 6,500 lbs with a 580 lb tongue weight. HOPING this truck can pull it. Any recos on beefing up the back end so it doesn't collapse too much when I hook it up? And any other thoughts on how to make it haul it reasonably well? Thanks
Old April 18th, 2023, 8:52 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No idea about the flat spot, that sounds really strange.

As far as towing goes, I have not towed with mine yet. It says in the manual to wait to tow until the first oil change. I have a Jayco 23bhm that is just over 6k lbs loaded and tow it with a 2016 Dodge Durango that has the 8 speed trans and 5.7L motor. No issues at all. I recently inherited a 2016 F150 with the 6 speed trans and the 5.0. The Durango pulled the camper way better! The 8 speed trans makes all the difference I think. The F150 just didn't tow it as well. The Durango you could go over the speed limit easily and not realize it, low RPM's, no problem going any speed. the F150 was at really high RPM's and it was a struggle to go 65 comfortably, it like 55-60 and it seems you were always slowing down where in the Durango you had to constantly watch to speed from going to fast. I recently got rid of the F150 and got this 2022 1500 LTZ 5.3L 10 speed trans. I think it is going to pull that camper even better. In my opinion invest in a weight distribution hitch system with a sway control system built in or if it isn't built in purchase an add on unit, I have an old setup that I added the sway control on, mine is pretty much like this:
Amazon Amazon
There are newer models where the sway control is built in to the bars. You may not even need the sway control depending on where you drive but, I added it for around 20 dollars to try and help with freeway driving and it makes such a big difference! In my case I never had any issues for years of towing, 2 lane roads, close to home 55mph and under, nearest multi lane freeway is pretty far away. I started branching out and decided to do some freeway travel and camping. I am usually in the slow lane with people blowing by me at 80MPH and it was whipping that trailer pretty bad when they would go by. I have driven in wind and all kinds of situations and I have never had any kind of an issue or felt un-safe but I had butt puckering moments going down the freeway at 65 and had vehicles blow by me, suck that trailer out, whip it behind me and make things more uncomfortable than I care for. The little 20 dollar sway bar completely stopped that from happening, truly unbelievable. You can take it all to a trailer place with your camper and have it installed or, do it yourself. It isn't super hard to do. Lots of Youtube videos on how you set the ball height, install the sway control, install the specific type of hitch system you get. You can find these setups used for very reasonable prices with all the parts. They really help level everything out when setup correctly so your vehicle doesn't squat down so bad when you put your trailer on the back. Pulling the trailer with one of these weight distribution systems installed is just a lot better towing experience. I was able to install my sway control setup so I can turn as sharp as possible both ways. Kind of a pain taking all the measurements almost jack knifing the trailer both ways, checking the fit and marking where the attachments were going to be installed but it was well worth the time to not have to get out and remove the sway control when I get to the camp ground allowing me the ability to turn super sharp if needed without binding things up. I think that is one of the benefits of the newer systems with built in sway control but in my case I was able to make add on style work really well for my setup. Of course I didn't know anything about this until I was reading the instructions and it said to remove it when you get to the camp ground and then after some more reading and looking at reviews I found where in some installations turning to sharp can bind it up. I have used it for years now with no issues, even towing with the pickup I could still turn as sharp both ways with no interference. I tried the towing with the pickup without the sway control connected thinking maybe its size and towing capacity would make a difference compared to the Durango and it didn't, trailer whipped like crazy on the freeway with people blowing by me so I stopped and installed it, problem solved!
Old September 5th, 2023, 6:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Silveroni
Trying to figure the best way to name this. My 2019 Chev Silverado LTZ 4x4 5.3 gas vehicle has a problem I have never encountered before. It typically happens after the truck has been backed up and then shifted into drive. I start to accelerate and then it just does a quick die out for about 1 second. I took it to the dealer and they kept it 4 weeks. Said they rebuilt the tranny. Immediately had the same issue and they kept it 2 weeks. This time they said they replaced the transmission. Got it back and still same issue. I am tempted to go for lemon law but really like this truck otherwise.

It has not stranded me, BUT, we recently purchased a travel trailer and really do not want to find out the hard way that this truck has some deep demons in the drive train. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

ALSO, instead of a new thread, are there any suggestions for towing a travel trailer? I haven't picked it up yet, but the travel trailer weighs 6,500 lbs with a 580 lb tongue weight. HOPING this truck can pull it. Any recos on beefing up the back end so it doesn't collapse too much when I hook it up? And any other thoughts on how to make it haul it reasonably well? Thanks

I just bought a 2021 1500 custom with the same problem, Did you ever find out what it is ?