Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

Ac not cold enough

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2020, 5:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ac not cold enough

Wifes 2002 AVALANCHE had Ice cold air up until transmission went out and was replaced. Now the air is cold enough. Changed high and low switches had plug on back of compressor changed. Have new control panel. And unit is charged. Please any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old June 19th, 2020, 4:43 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Insp58255
Wifes 2002 AVALANCHE had Ice cold air up until transmission went out and was replaced. Now the air is cold enough. Changed high and low switches had plug on back of compressor changed. Have new control panel. And unit is charged. Please any help will be greatly appreciated.
Whats the high and low charge PSI at now? Are the inlet and outlet A/C lines cold at all? Did the shop mess with the A/C condenser or the transmission cooler?
Old June 20th, 2020, 2:01 PM
CF Beginner

Default Ac not cold enough

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Whats the high and low charge PSI at now? Are the inlet and outlet A/C lines cold at all? Did the shop mess with the A/C condenser or the transmission cooler?
I checked the lines. The one with the LP

and HP caps is not cold the thick one on top is warm. Also when I hold the lines I can kinda feel it pulsing.

Last edited by Insp58255; June 20th, 2020 at 2:03 PM.
Old June 20th, 2020, 2:39 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

and HP caps is not cold the thick one on top is warm. Also when I hold the lines I can kinda feel it pulsing.
If it is "pulsing", either that high or low pressure cutoff switch is bad, or a low charge/leak.
Old June 20th, 2020, 2:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the compressor is clicking on and off, it could be related to the switches. If you feel the refrigerant lines pulsing, it’s very likely a charge issue. You can get the cans of r134a at the auto store with a little gauge and charging instructions for $30. If you foresee doing this in the future or just want to know more about refrigerant charging, you can get a cheap set of gauges and auto adapters at harbor freight. I think they may even sell the small cans of 134a that have a puncture top (you’d also need a puncture valve) second option costs three times as much, but will pay for itself if you have to do this a lot.
Old June 20th, 2020, 6:57 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Fred R
If the compressor is clicking on and off, it could be related to the switches. If you feel the refrigerant lines pulsing, it’s very likely a charge issue. You can get the cans of r134a at the auto store with a little gauge and charging instructions for $30. If you foresee doing this in the future or just want to know more about refrigerant charging, you can get a cheap set of gauges and auto adapters at harbor freight. I think they may even sell the small cans of 134a that have a puncture top (you’d also need a puncture valve) second option costs three times as much, but will pay for itself if you have to do this a lot.
I pulled the plug off the low pressure switch and compressor goes off and back on when I plug it back in. The compressor is very hot and there looks like oil on the bottom. Could it be the compressor itself?
Now the air is blowing Hot. I do t have gauges so I checked the low pressure side with the gauge on the can it was full on the green.

Last edited by Insp58255; June 20th, 2020 at 7:30 PM. Reason: Add more information
Old June 20th, 2020, 7:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I pulled the plug off the low pressure switch and compressor goes off and back on when I plug it back in. The compressor is very hot and there looks like oil on the bottom. Could it be the compressor itself?
if it’s refrigerant oil it’s not a good sign. Assuming you have a shiny clean engine and that’s the only place you see oil... you likely have a leak right there. Refrigerant systems are sealed and should not leak out oil, ever. Refrigerant leaks can be easy to trace. I’m not familiar with what kind of fittings are on your vehicle, but possible they can be tightened or an o ring replaced. If the compressor is running you have enough pressure to spray some soap bubbles (gas leak detector). Careful... it’s propylene glycol and smokes like crazy if you let it drip anywhere hot. You could also do a soap bubble test with the motor off.
Old June 20th, 2020, 10:55 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by Fred R
if it’s refrigerant oil it’s not a good sign. Assuming you have a shiny clean engine and that’s the only place you see oil... you likely have a leak right there. Refrigerant systems are sealed and should not leak out oil, ever. Refrigerant leaks can be easy to trace. I’m not familiar with what kind of fittings are on your vehicle, but possible they can be tightened or an o ring replaced. If the compressor is running you have enough pressure to spray some soap bubbles (gas leak detector). Careful... it’s propylene glycol and smokes like crazy if you let it drip anywhere hot. You could also do a soap bubble test with the motor off.
I'm a bit confused as to the two inlet/outlet connectors on this vehicle. The larger red one _Should_ be for High Pressure and the Black one for low pressure, but they appear to be on the _SAME_ HP line going into the cabin evaporator. Perhaps my old eyes are deceiving me, but this seems very strange and/or peculiar to me, and I've done lots of auto A/C systems in my lifetime. The larger, low-pressure tube does not seem to have it's own refrigerant pressure gauge outlet at all. A very, very odd design to me, for sure.

On the plus side, having an aluminum wrap foil on the R/D/C unit seems like a good idea. I have some left-over wrap for my home water heater that I could put on my Chevy K-1500. I agree that PAG oil on the compressor is a very bad sign that it is indeed leaking R-134A refrigerant and PAG oil. Likely going to need a rebuilt or a new compressor in order to function properly, once more.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; June 20th, 2020 at 11:05 PM.
Old June 20th, 2020, 11:10 PM
CF Monarch

Can you post a picture of the PAG oil leak and the A/C compressor? Also any other outlets from the larger low-pressure outlet tubes/hoses going to the condenser?

Last edited by oilcanhenry; June 20th, 2020 at 11:13 PM.