Camaro This classic Pony Car, the Camaro left the lineup in 2002 and was thought to be gone forever, but is made its long-awaited return in the 2010 model year with a 300 HP V6 and a 426 HP V8 SS

2016 Camaro
Platform: F-Body & Zeta.

92 camaro won't stay started

Search this Thread

Old April 13th, 2011, 8:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 camaro won't stay started

I have a 1992 camaro rs . Its a v8 (yes its a v8 :P) 305 automatic. The original starter went out and I replaced it then two months later the replacement went out. I replaced it once again and approximatelt 2 months later it went out AGAIN. This time around someone suggested that I change it to push start instead of blowing all that money on starters so I said hey what the heck ill try it what's the worst that could happen? So u know... during this time, the car ran just fine when those starters went out it never sputtered or anything.

I went to autozone and bought the push start button and I bypassed the ignition and hooked it right to the starter. When I started the car it starts up and then it wants to cut back off. If I continuously give it gas it will stay started but I have to constantly tap the gas repeatedly to keep it started. If I press the gas pedal down and hold it in the car will die however if I repeatedly touch the gas it will stay started and sputter A LOT.

I have tried a million different things to fix it ranging from replacing one of the injectors that was dumping too much gas to replacing sensors etc... one thing I should also mention is that some people have said that my starters could be attributed to the fact that my steering column has some play in it. What I mean is that if I push down on it, it moves down and to the left but it does have adjustable steering wheel. I've never pushed down on another 92 camaro steering column so I don't know if mine truly has play in it or if that's how it should be.

Also, I replaced my fuel pump not long ago so I don't know that this would be it but any input on this would be great because I'm at a complete loss. I'm sorry if my descriptions are vague but I'm not a mechanic and don't have a vast car knowledge so I'm describing the issue to the best of my ability. If it helps ill try to get a video tomorrow of how it sounds etc... thanks so much in advance.

P.S. I was told that bypassing the ignition with the push button start can "fry the computer and that's why its acting the way it is." Is that true?
Old April 15th, 2011, 2:01 PM
CF Beginner

No one has any input I might be able to use to solve this problem? I'm really stuck here. If I don't figure this out, the next step is to junk it and I don't wanna do that . Thanks!
Old April 15th, 2011, 6:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know if I can be of any help but I'm curious. What exactly do you mean when you say the "starter went out." And, what is this "push start button" and what all was involved in its installation? Depending on how it's done, I'm thinking maybe the ECM isn't awake to control the IAC valve.
Old April 19th, 2011, 9:41 PM
CF Beginner

sorry for mot being clear enough. Oh **** I just realized I said the starter went out... I meant the ignition switch went out. I suppose that would drastically change things, lol. Just in case me saying the ignition switch went out doesnt make sense either what I mean is that I cant put the key in the damn thing its warping on the inside where the key goes and if I can manage to get the key in there it will not turn... its stuck completely. The original one worked and then it got to the point where it wouldnt let me turn the ignition switch to the on position at all and when it finally did it got stuck in that position. The second and third ones that I put in warped completely after only a month or two. The inside where u put the key got so that you couldnt even get the key in without trying to force it hard and even then it wouldnt go in half the time. IF you could get the key to go in and you tried to turn it to the on position to start the car, it would be locked in place and the mechanism wouldnt budge at all.

What I mean by push button start is basically a button (you can get them at autozone) which basically has a power and ground on the end of it. the only thing u need to do to hook it up is literally use ground wire (small gauge really doesnt matter) and ground it off and hook the power wire to the starter and it basically when you push the button in it jolts the starter and turns the car over. You still have to have the ignition switch in the on position and the ignition switch in the car is so bad its to the point that I dont need a key to turn the ignition switch now. I can turn the ignition switch to the on position without a key and everything will work except it wont turn the car over but I still get power. I get lights, fuel pump kicks on, radio works... everything.

So basically I've bypassed the ignition switch and wire this button to the starter to turn the car over. Now, someone told me that it could have fried the "computer" in the car. I assume by computer they mean the ECU? Is this possible to happen? I asked how he thought that might have happened and he said that there is an unregulated amount of juice turning the car over (meaning that the amount of voltage its sending to the starter isnt regulated which could send too much voltage.). Is that even possible?

I'm really sorry that I'm explaining it so crappily but its the only way I know how. If you need me to clarify anything, I'm more than happy to do so. Any input is greatly appreciated because like I said before... I'm at a loss with this thing and would really like it to run.

Last edited by el_hefe; April 19th, 2011 at 9:46 PM.
Old April 20th, 2011, 11:18 AM
CF Veteran

Normally the starter solenoid is supplied a positive voltage. The solenoid then engages the pinion to the flywheel and closes the main electrical contacts to apply the full battery voltage to the starter motor. Assuming that this "push start button" is wired correctly (which means your description is questionable), I don't see how "it could have fried the" the ECM. However, you could have damaged it while splicing wires and such. I've no idea beyond that.
Old April 24th, 2011, 12:15 PM
CF Beginner

okay then that brings me to another question. Lets assume that everything has been wired correctly and its just a coincidence that it started doing this RIGHT after installed this push start button. What would you assume it is just based on the description I gave about the car not wanting to stay started? Not taking into account the push start button, the ignition switch going out or anything like that... What would you think the issue is with the car wanting to die as soon as I start it? Like I said, when I give it gas, if I just oush the petal down to the floor the car will die. HOWEVER, if I tap the gas constantly it will keep sputtering but stay started. Any ideas?

*****ALSO- I am going to get a video of it today and post it to see if that helps describe things better than my poor descriptions. I'll take a video of the "push button start" and start the car so you can hear it sputter and see what I'm talking about if someone doesn't mind taking a look at the video.
Old April 24th, 2011, 6:04 PM
CF Veteran

Well, like I posted originally, the ECM controls the IAC valve to maintain the engine idle and thus maybe there's something going on there. It's just too hard to imagine the IAC valve going bad out of the blue.
Old June 30th, 2011, 1:15 AM
CF Beginner

Default I have the exact same problem

please let me know if you get anywhere with this.. I have the exact same problem... I read it could be a problem with the vats.. I can only get mine to start sometimes, then it studders, I have to pump the pedal.. then it dies... I also can only get it to start like that if if i put a resistor, on the purple and white wires. I guess I am kinda bypassing the vats system.