Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

1989 Caprice Class TBI - Erratic Idle & Intermittent Check Engine Light

Old April 14th, 2015, 1:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 Caprice Class TBI - Erratic Idle & Intermittent Check Engine Light

Hello All!

So I've been having an issue for several months now with my 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic. The issue is with erratic idling accompanied by a check engine light.

For example: After fully warmed up there are times where I will come to a stop and the car bogs down and stalls. Or sitting in a drive through and the idle will surge up and down and the check engine light will come on. The light even comes on while on the highway.

I ran the codes for the light and they are 21, 22, and 24.

First 2 are related to the Throttle Position Sensor and 24 is the Vehicle Speed Sensor.

I recently had a brand new throttle body installed and all sensors located on the throttle body were replaced . This was to remedy the above issue but it is still occurring.

I also recently replaced plugs, wires and cap and just had the Speedometer gears replaced in the transmission due to a non-functional speedometer gauge.

The issue occurs whether AC is on or not.

Any ideas would be great!

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails 1989 Caprice Class TBI - Erratic Idle & Intermittent Check Engine Light-11116808_968674669812378_266848074_n.jpg  

Last edited by nothinBUTaGMthang; April 14th, 2015 at 3:34 PM.
Old April 1st, 2021, 4:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you get your issue resolved?

Originally Posted by nothinBUTaGMthang
Hello All!

So I've been having an issue for several months now with my 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic. The issue is with erratic idling accompanied by a check engine light.

For example: After fully warmed up there are times where I will come to a stop and the car bogs down and stalls. Or sitting in a drive through and the idle will surge up and down and the check engine light will come on. The light even comes on while on the highway.

I ran the codes for the light and they are 21, 22, and 24.

First 2 are related to the Throttle Position Sensor and 24 is the Vehicle Speed Sensor.

I recently had a brand new throttle body installed and all sensors located on the throttle body were replaced . This was to remedy the above issue but it is still occurring.

I also recently replaced plugs, wires and cap and just had the Speedometer gears replaced in the transmission due to a non-functional speedometer gauge.

The issue occurs whether AC is on or not.

Any ideas would be great!

Thanks!

I have the same exact car and is currently experiencing the same exact thing. What did you do to resolve this problem