Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

Vinyl top?? (Removal)

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2008, 5:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vinyl top?? (Removal)

Hello all,
My Caprice has/had a vinyl top, the material has been removed and I am wondering if anyone has ever removed the rest of a vinyl top?

I have a composite like top still on the car, I am guessing glued to the roof and removable, but I have to guess into a project. So does anyone know if the top is completely removable? Is so then what just remove the glue, sand it and paint?
Old July 7th, 2009, 11:30 AM
CF Beginner

I am thinking about doing the same thing as my vinyl top has started to get all cracked and dried out. Has anyone attempted this?
Old July 24th, 2009, 5:54 PM
CF Beginner

I've seen that done to many cars over the years.

The early 70's Cadillac Sevilles had vinyl tops that were often removed and it exposed some ugly welds that had to be refinished, but that was because the car was never available without a vinyl top.

On all the Caprices I know about that had vinyl tops, those same models were made without vinyl tops so I wouldn't anticipate there'd be any big surprises, other than the paint might look as great as you wish... or it might look brand new.

There was often small metal trim pieces around the edges of the top and those can either be reused (which can look funny or ok), or the holes filled.

3M makes a specific contact cement remover which may help but I'd test it on a the paint in a concealed place first.