Captiva The Captiva has been sold worldwide since 2006 and now comes to the US to replace the Saturn Vue
Chevy Captiva
Platform: Theta

2014 Captiva Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2019, 8:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Captiva Electrical Problems

My wife owns a 2014 Chevrolet Captiva 2.4 LS. This morning at 6 am she told me that when she turned on the brights that the lights went out on the vehicle for a second or two and then the display re-lit and the tractor control icon came on and then went off. It did the same thing this evening to her. I just went and test drove it around my house and it did the same thing. When I turned on the brights the radio cut out the dash display goes out and then the traction control icon comes on. This happens for about two seconds until it freaks you out enough and then disengage the brights. I tried to replicate the problem but it doesn’t happen consistently.

There are about 83,000 miles on it and my wife is pregnant and got a justified scare today. I have read the forums about replacing battery cables because it might be a voltage drop but I was curious if this has happened to anyone else?

Wife wants a new vehicle and doesn’t feel that vehicle is reliable. Thoughts?

Old January 14th, 2019, 8:27 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

What about the battery?
Old January 14th, 2019, 8:37 PM
CF Beginner

Default Captiva Problems

The battery was replaced by Les Schwab last July 2018 and has 730 CCA.
Old January 14th, 2019, 9:11 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Did this start after the battery was replaced? Does sound like a loose connection.
Old January 14th, 2019, 9:17 PM
CF Beginner

Default Captiva problems

I checked the battery lugs and the negative terminal had some corrosion on it and I was able to rotate it a little.

Historically the negative lug has always had a corrosion problem (even with lug spray on protectant) before the battery was replaced.

I cleaned the terminal and lug and put some protectant on and tightened so it’s firm and snug. I’ll test drive it around and see if that helped.
Old January 16th, 2019, 12:46 PM
CF Beginner

Battery harness issue, caused by poor crimping of harness connectors. Voltage drop as little as .03v can cause this. Had same issue a while back, after multiple visits to dealer I had to show them forum threads talking about this, they finally replaced harness, no issues since. There is a lengthy thread about this exact electrical problem with the Captiva (largest view thread, over 152,000 views). Surprised you got that many miles before it appeared, mine started with less then 20,000. Good luck!

Last edited by Slick; January 16th, 2019 at 12:55 PM.
Old March 12th, 2020, 9:11 PM
CF Beginner

Default Your not alone

Originally Posted by Dairymen
My wife owns a 2014 Chevrolet Captiva 2.4 LS. This morning at 6 am she told me that when she turned on the brights that the lights went out on the vehicle for a second or two and then the display re-lit and the tractor control icon came on and then went off. It did the same thing this evening to her. I just went and test drove it around my house and it did the same thing. When I turned on the brights the radio cut out the dash display goes out and then the traction control icon comes on. This happens for about two seconds until it freaks you out enough and then disengage the brights. I tried to replicate the problem but it doesn’t happen consistently.

There are about 83,000 miles on it and my wife is pregnant and got a justified scare today. I have read the forums about replacing battery cables because it might be a voltage drop but I was curious if this has happened to anyone else?

Wife wants a new vehicle and doesn’t feel that vehicle is reliable. Thoughts?

your not alone..

Old March 24th, 2020, 11:46 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2012.captiva

Originally Posted by Kavilla46
your not alone..
get rid of that car. no matter what you do...it will never run right!