Captiva The Captiva has been sold worldwide since 2006 and now comes to the US to replace the Saturn Vue
Chevy Captiva
Platform: Theta

Captiva Electrical issue

Old December 5th, 2017, 6:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Captiva Electrical issue

My Captiva when driving in stop and go traffic from Sorrento Valley to Oceanside (26 miles approx. 1 hour commute) when I get to Oceanside and use the turn signal the radio shuts off and it flashes traction control needs service. When I shut the car off the entire electrical system shuts off and nothing works, Key fob, nothing, lights dead. It has been sitting at Weseloh Chevrolet in Carlsbad, Ca for a month and they have no solution. Im suppose to pick it up tonight, but they did not fix it even though it died on them as well. I can't trust this car at this time. Is there a solution to this problem?

Last edited by djadams1328; December 5th, 2017 at 6:16 PM.
Old February 9th, 2018, 1:43 PM
CF Beginner

In reference to my previous post and Case Number - 8-3636703281, My Captiva has continued to have electrical problems, Now when driving in stop and go traffic from Sorrento Valley to Oceanside (26 miles approx. 1 hour commute), If I raise my driver side window the park brake maintenance warning light goes on. When I shut the car off the entire electrical system shuts off and nothing works, Key fob, lights, everything is Dead. This morning the Captiva Doors were unlocked however it appeared normal. This car has left me stranded on three separate occasions and once it died at the Dealership Weseloh Chevrolet in Carlsbad, Ca. I have parked this car and will not drive it unless there is a resolution. Please provide assistance.
Old May 16th, 2018, 3:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Report to NHTSA
I encourage everyone to report their Captiva to NHTSA as Chevrolet is clearly not going to take responsibility for this electrical safety issue in good faith. Posting on forums like this does not count as a formal complaint for a recall.

Follow the link and fill out the form, takes 5 minutes.
Even if you have already paid for repairs, you may be entitled to reimbursement in the event of a recall.

Your complaint will be added to a public NHTSA database after personally identifying information is removed.

If the agency receives similar reports from a number of people about the same product, this could indicate that a safety-related defect may exist that would warrant the opening of an investigation.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Also, if you are one of the people whose vehicle lost power while driving on the freeway or at night and had no hazard lights, or if you were otherwise placed in immediate danger - PLEASE find and save any documentation you have of where you made Chevrolet/GM aware of what happened to you and what their response to you was and send it to NHTSA.
Old August 5th, 2022, 11:26 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2012 Chev Captiva LT

I purchased my Captiva second hand with 36,000 original miles. It ran and drove spectacularly for the first year or so, then began exhibiting multiple electrical problems which were sort of minor at first, but quickly escalated to major malfunctions. It would flash every light on the dash and even including the tail and brake lights. Then as the problem escalated it would go through the dash light sequence, the it would cut all power as I was driving in heavy traffic in Lakeland, Florida which was about 40 miles from my home in Dade City, Florida. After 30 minutes or so the power restored itself and I was able to get home. Next morning I took vehicle to my repair shop and they replaced the alternator and first battery. Since then about every year the battery would go bad for no explainable reason and have to be replaced. Over the last four years I have replaced the alternator and three batteries. Local GM dealer told me to bring it in and they would tear it down if necessary and find the problem at my expense. I don’t think so after reading all the unanswered complaints on this forum. I’ll wait on the class action lawsuit to be filed.