Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

1997 Cavalier 2.2 Automatic No start & No dash lights

Search this Thread

Old August 10th, 2011, 11:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's good to hear, though I can't quite connect the symptoms to the cure. Thanks for the update.
Old August 11th, 2011, 2:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK OK OK... I didn't want to admit I was wrong. After I got the PCM which I wasted $60 on, it did not change a thing. I came back and followed your advice THOROUGHLY. Do you remember the 2 thick red wires going into the ignition switch? Do you know the big main wiring harness connector between the brake master cylinder and strut tower behind the air filter housing? Inside it I previously noticed some brown heat discoloration from one of the thick red wires. It didn't look too bad until I saw the other side. Once I removed the rubber dust plug behind the wire going into this block I found it was burned severely. I removed this wire from the block and reconnected it outside of it. The car fired right up like normal. I'm keeping my eye on it to make sure it doesn't happen again and it's looking good so far.

I had convinced myself it was the computer early on because of problems the car has been having recently. I even had a mechanic tell me the computer is not starting the fan which I find now isn't the case. I could have saved myself $60 dollars and a lot of time if I would have taken the time to go through it throughly from the beginning.

I swear I was getting a good reading off that wire too. Maybe it was because I was testing it with the switch in the on position?

Anyways, I felt I owed it to you to admit I was wrong and you were right. I really do appreciate your consistant help through this thread. In the end you helped me fix my car. Thank you.
Old August 11th, 2011, 11:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I figured you had accidentally jiggled some wire to make the problem go away temporarily. Thanks for the clarification.