Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

1998 Cavalier cranks but doesn't start.

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2014, 8:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Cavalier cranks but doesn't start.

2.2L 5 spd man Stalled on me one day, haven't been able to get it to run since. It cranks. Getting spark to all 4- used an inline spark tester. Can hear the fuel pump running, and it runs for 2 seconds and shuts off like its supposed to at start. Primed throttle body, still won't start. Replaced crank position sensor since it was cheap. If a hold the pedal down, it sounds like its going to start but it doesn't. Haven't checked fuel psi yet, was avoiding buying one, but its my next move. Did bang on tank while someone cranked it.

Couple weeks before it died it began getting a tick. Sounds like a diesel when idling. Thought maybe a stuck lifter, so used oil additive didn't help. Almost sounds like its coming from power steering pump. Never heard one making a ticking sound.

Could it be a broken timing chain? it has 212K miles on it, not sure if that original.

I have read a ton of forums and threads with the same problem, and none of them come to a conclusion or solution.

HELP!!!
Old May 5th, 2014, 4:51 AM
CF Beginner

Little more info- I did change the plugs and wires, because I did have a P0300- engine misfire random cylinders.
When it sounds like its begin to peak and going to start but doesn't. That's after cranking for a while and holding the pedal down.
Old May 5th, 2014, 4:58 AM
CF Beginner

Oh and the battery is only a couple of months old.
Old May 9th, 2014, 6:43 AM
CF Beginner

Update- took the valve cover off, and all the valves are moving- so the timing chain isn't broke. It still could have skipped though. I used the trick of the old spark plug grounded to check double check spark, all 4 ok. The spark was orange though and not blue. Pulled the fuel filter off and getting fuel flow out of tank, but when I crack the coupling open at the fuel regulator i get no fuel. Getting pressure gauge today, going to check PSI out of tank and into to fuel rail. I have to double check I didn't blow the fuel pump fuse 1st.
Old May 9th, 2014, 9:17 AM
CF Beginner

I looked online and saw an orange spark is sign of week ignition. going to try test with new spark plug and see if spark is blue. This has 2 coils, could both coils go out at same time, or is it the ICM?
Old May 9th, 2014, 7:48 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you really are confused whether you have fuel or ignition problem use starting fluid, if you can get it running for even a few seconds on starting fluid your ignition is OK.
Old May 9th, 2014, 9:16 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OTOH, to troubleshoot this issue I'd start checking if the camshaft timing is correct. If it checks out fine the compression test is next.
Old May 13th, 2014, 11:37 AM
CF Beginner

Starting fluid or even pouring a little gas in the throttle body still won't start it.
Old May 14th, 2014, 1:32 PM
CF Beginner

Default easy

Originally Posted by Segfault
OTOH, to troubleshoot this issue I'd start checking if the camshaft timing is correct. If it checks out fine the compression test is next.
What is the easiest way to check the camshaft timing?
Old May 16th, 2014, 8:36 AM
CF Beginner

Default dyh

Originally Posted by HEMISTUD
What is the easiest way to check the camshaft timing?
Duh, compression test

Quick Reply: 1998 Cavalier cranks but doesn't start.