Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2001 rough idle and low power

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2006, 4:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 rough idle and low power

Hi, I'm new to the forum, and joined because I'm trying to help a friend out.

2001 Cavalier, it idles a little rough and supposably it does not have the power it use to. 120,000km on it.

I was planning to start with plugs and a new air filter. I don't know what the wires are like yet but my friend doesn't have 2 cents to were are trying to minimize $. I read somewhere that the wires are cheap and prone to breaking is this true?

The check engine light is on. Is there anyway to check the code without taking it to the dealer?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
tom
Old August 2nd, 2006, 11:10 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2001 rough idle and low power

you need a scan tool to read the code
autozone can read the code for you
with that many miles u should change the wires and the plugs
unless they have been changed recently
Old August 5th, 2006, 2:43 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't bother with wires and plugs yet since the check engine light is on. Anytime the light comes on then it's emissions related.

Like the guy above said get the code scanned and come back here and tell us what it is.
Old September 6th, 2006, 1:18 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Howdy Toymister
Were you able to figure out what was causing your rough idle and lack of power on your friends Cavalier? My son is having the same problem with his 97" Cavalier. We found a bad fuel injector and ( leaking fuel) changed it. I bought a code tester and it indicated a bad "throttle position sensor", changed that and it did make a big difference but still has a miss. Checked for more codes but no new codes have been set as of today, my son and I worked on it this weekend. I'm thinking it could be spark plug wires or a cracked insulator on a spark plug. Bought a fuel filter but did not get a chance to change it yet. I'm told that fuel filters should be changed once a year, but I to be honest Inever had a problem with a fuel filter and usually change them at 30,000 mile intervale. Don't want to be replacing parts without some degree of confidence that it needs replaced. His car has 99,000 on it. Hope to hear back from you or someone who can help. Thanks MC