Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

96 cavalier tranny

Search this Thread

Old April 13th, 2008, 9:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 cavalier tranny

So here is the deal, my friend got a cavalier for 250.00, it had a bad tranny. We found a new tranny and engine combo for 250 out of a 95 sunfire. We spent all day pulling the old combo out, got it out today. We noticed the shift switch for the tranny was differnet, we swapped, easy. Then we noticed the sunfire had an old manual EGR, the cavalier had an electronic part there which also made the Fuel injection/intake different. We started to swap when we noticed differened on the read block. The knock sensor we in a different location. The distributor thing(not sure what its called but where the spark plug wire go) only had two bolt holes instead of three, on hole was never drilled. Then the big isue, there was a sensor on the cavalier that wasnt on the sundife, it was a two prong one held on by a bolt and retainer, not sure what it is...
So we decieded to just swap the tranny to the old Engine, which runs fine.
This is my fire FWD engine swap and the wiring loom really snaked around like crazy. Can someone please send me a diagram to help me get it right? i just need to see how to route the harness. I know i can buy a book but i am doing this to help a friend and i dont want to spend money, so please dont suggest that, i am flat broke. I have fax machine if someone can fax me? please

Thank you and god bless america