Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

98 cavalier abs light and parking brake light is on

Search this Thread

Old November 22nd, 2011, 9:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote=Deric1979;198235]My grandmother died and left me her 98 chevy cavalier and it is doing the same thing. I was wondering if you happened to get that fixed and do you remember what the cause was? greatly appreciated if you would respond, any one of you fine people.(besides the guy that replaced the ABS pump and his fluid.)
Old December 10th, 2011, 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Deric1979
My grandmother died and left me her 98 chevy cavalier and it is doing the same thing. I was wondering if you happened to get that fixed and do you remember what the cause was? greatly appreciated if you would respond, any one of you fine people.
i had the same thing happen to mine when i put new pads on the front i pushed the caliber drums back and suppose to bleed them back when u dont open the bleeder up then push back it pushs dirt into the control unit and causes the lites to come on i got a used control for the abs where the master cyc is and put that on it was fixxed mine come on and went off 4 times i guess the dirt was going in-out of the abs control till it wouldnt wash out and the lite stayed on till i out that part on and washed the lines put all new fuild havent had anymore troubles with it it could be the wheel sensors but i think i try that first
Old December 11th, 2011, 3:44 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by chipmunk
i had the same thing happen to mine when i put new pads on the front i pushed the caliber drums back and suppose to bleed them back when u dont open the bleeder up then push back it pushs dirt into the control unit and causes the lites to come on i got a used control for the abs where the master cyc is and put that on it was fixxed mine come on and went off 4 times i guess the dirt was going in-out of the abs control till it wouldnt wash out and the lite stayed on till i out that part on and washed the lines put all new fuild havent had anymore troubles with it it could be the wheel sensors but i think i try that first

OK ill try that. That could just be the cause. The brake pads were changed by someone who isnt a certified mechanic and the according to my mother she mentioned that the brake lights were on before the pads were changed.
Old December 18th, 2011, 10:33 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Deric1979
OK ill try that. That could just be the cause. The brake pads were changed by someone who isnt a certified mechanic and the according to my mother she mentioned that the brake lights were on before the pads were changed.

Ok lol here's what's I do, I first put on my seat belt (THIS THE most important PART), THEN I put my foot on the brake and put the key in the ignition, then I turn the key into the start position but I dont start the engine up til the lights on the dash go out THEN I put my foot on the brake before shifting into gear and THEN the lights stay off lol. If I skip any of these steps (especially the seat belt part) the lights come back on.
Old July 13th, 2014, 1:21 AM
CF Beginner

This is somewhat of an easy question. I have found that there are many reasons why the ABS light will come on. I have run into this problem a few times and a few have been mentioned. The one that I have run into is a problem with the sending solenoid. That is on top of the ABS braking system. I ran into this when I replaced my brake lines from there to the back on both sides, and replaced the entire braking system front to back. I try to do this every 4-5 years because of weather. This is where the solenoid came into play. I bled the lines all 4, and found that there was a line that was not getting anything out. That is when I noticed that there was ABS light on. Then I checked the injection system and found that it was dead. Now the problem is to get it replaced and I cannot find a set price for it. Other than ordering it and costing close to $200 for it. Might find it cheaper somewhere else.. Although this is one thing that I have found to cause it along with the other issues listed.
Old December 16th, 2014, 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

Default Brake and Antilock brake lights on

Check wiring to the front ABS sensors A wire usually pulls out of the pigtail for these sensors ( Another Engineering Failure) replace the Pigtail and youll be good to Go
J Benak