Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Cavalier shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old December 6th, 2012, 10:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cavalier shifting problem

I have a 1995 Cavalier with an intermitant problem. After the car has been running for some time, say 50 miles or better without being turned off, it will die at stops. As I slow the vehicle to stop I realized it was not down shifting. Killing as if it was a standard shift and not using the clutch when stopping. If you start it back up it runs fine but as soon as putting it in D it dies. If you use a little brake and throttle up you can get it to 1 gear and get underway again. As long as car remains at a suitable speed for the gear range it's in there is not problem running or shifting up, just down as you need to slow and stop.

Like I said you have to have driven the car for awhile before this would begin to happen. I had the transmission serviced and seemed to cure the problem for a time including on long drives. I did not mention this to my GM dealer when the trans was serviced and I thought that had cured the problem. Letting the car sit for a while, 15-30 minutes will allow "normal" operation again. I like to try with advice here to fix this myself it someone has suggestions. Thanks

Last edited by Gabety; December 6th, 2012 at 10:31 AM.