Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

How Long Will 2003 Chevy Cavalier Last?

Old December 7th, 2011, 8:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Long Will 2003 Chevy Cavalier Last?

Hey everyone. New to the forum. I am an owner of a 2003 Chevy Cavalier, I believe the LS Sport version. It currently has 105,000 miles and just bought four new tires for it. I was wondering how many miles I can get out of it before it dies completely? I'm sure I will need to repair something on it beforehand. I do have the oil changed on scheduled but haven't had a tune-up since I bought it three years ago. Where can I find what is recommended to tune-up? Thanks
Old December 7th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Senior Site Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most common issue is the headgasket going pretty soon. I would say from what I've seen between 100k and 130k. Of course there are always exceptions and it depends on how well the car was maintained.
Old December 8th, 2011, 8:22 PM
CF Active Member

I have a '03. 180 k miles. Runs strong.
So far I've replaced front bearings, steering joints and fuel pump.
Not mentioning tires, struts, spark plugs, brake pads, coolant, etc.
Rear bearings may be next.
Old December 10th, 2011, 8:04 PM
CF Beginner

i have a 93 with 220000 i think alll above has gear drivin timing i use dura lube in mine and valvline oil and was told that it would go a long time i put 1 ing module on it 04 and now havin trouble with the ign again but for that its been a good car
Old December 11th, 2011, 7:12 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by chipmunk
i have a 93 with 220000 i think alll above has gear drivin timing i use dura lube in mine and valvline oil and was told that it would go a long time i put 1 ing module on it 04 and now havin trouble with the ign again but for that its been a good car
Thank you for your valuable input ... what was that again?
Old December 12th, 2011, 1:27 PM
CF Beginner

the cars that have timing belts or chains break the motors that have gears for timing for the most part will go-go because most time the timing is the weak link in a motor as for dura lube its a addtive with ptef resins that coats everything to help with wear and can be found at most parts stores [walmart] i have built a lot of motors and 1 had over a 100,000 on it i tore it down ton see how it was wearing in the mains and they had hardly NO wear on them so its worth the 16$ a qt. i have a truck with over 600,000 on it and the motor is like new inside cause of it and valvoline oil is all i use i my motors ive tryed a lot of them but i think that is the best i cant say your car will run forever but if the motor dont wear out then the most of the time the car will run-run it will quite the motor up and will give u better gas mileage we all can use that onc ei poured that in my truck i had to turn the idleing down so that means that the motor was running freeer by 300 more [r's] i think a cavilar is a good car but doesnt mean all of them all good u can get a lemon in all cars and trucks the only thing i found is the igntion kindof sucks if u have trouble with it but other then that i like my car and its been a good 1 good luck with your car be sure to run cleaner in the gas every or every other tank