Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

How Long Will The Water Pump Last

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2014, 3:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Long Will The Water Pump Last

I have a 2000 Chevy Cavalier with 285,000 miles on it. 100 are mine and I don't have the maintenance schedule from the previous owner.

Last week I noticed a small leak right where the water pump is. Now, it's not a small leak anymore. I'll drive 25 miles and the coolant level will go from full to barely covering the bottom of the reservoir.

Realistically, how much longer can I expect to drive with the pump slowly dying out like this? I put 200 miles a day on it because I drive for a living. This car is my job.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 7th, 2014, 6:00 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will not die slowly indefinitely, at some point it will just release all coolant in no time.
Old May 7th, 2014, 6:08 PM
CF Beginner

And at that point it shuts down.....blowing off the serpentine?
Old May 7th, 2014, 7:39 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a bearing and there is a seal. Usually what happens is the bearing wears, allows too much slack, and that kills the seal. From there the destruction is going to be sudden at some point. If you need this car for living just get the damn pump and replace it. Driving with low coolant can and will warp you cylinder head and this is going to be a major repair.
Old May 8th, 2014, 9:36 AM
CF Beginner

It will get done tomorrow. I'm paycheck to paycheck. It's one of those set-ups that you have to take an engine mount out to access it, keep the engine up with a hoist....etc. That's not a job I'm willing to tackle myself, I'll let a pro deal with the damn pump. That, and I may as well flush the system while it's in the shop and it all will only take about 3 hours.

I don't have a lot of experience with this part of the car, especially when you have to screw with the engine just to get to it. That's why I asked what seemed like a stupid question. Thanks for the info. though, you verified my paranoia about the whole thing possibly blowing while I'm on the road.