Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

I need electrical help

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2007, 4:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need electrical help

I am new to this forum. I hope I can get some help here. I recently bought a 1995 cavalier with some electrical problems. All I know isthe previous owner had a short in the amp wire and in the ground effect lights. Here are my issues.

1. The turn signals, horn , and heater blower doesn't work.
2. The wipers and radio works all the time (even with the key out of the switch)
3. The radio even works with radio fuse out of the panel.
4. All the exterior lights, the hazard lights, dome light, power sunroof, and instrument cluster all works fine.

I found a green/light green connector behind the driver's side kick panel that has been burnt through. I believe it is a relay but not sure.I hope some one can help. Thanks

Old May 13th, 2007, 10:01 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: I need electrical help

Well i would deff. replace that burnt out relay, and as far as your signals, and horn...thats most likely the lighting wiring harness. Its an old car so there might be a short somewhere along the harness. The heater blower might just be a fuse. And the radio and stuff staying on all the time, my guess is that it would be a relay too because its not getting the signal to shut down when you turn off the car.
Old May 14th, 2007, 1:19 AM
CF Beginner

I will change the relay and go from there. I have checked every fuse in the box and there are none that is blown. I even changed a few that looked like they may have poor contacts.
Old May 14th, 2007, 2:22 PM
CF Beginner

Also on the wireing you might check for a bad ground somewhere. that is throwing everything off. Ya and like ruffrider said change the relay wire.
Old May 15th, 2007, 7:05 AM
CF Pro Member

ORIGINAL: jernizzle

I am new to this forum. I hope I can get some help here. I recently bought a 1995 cavalier with some electrical problems. All I know isthe previous owner had a short in the amp wire and in the ground effect lights. Here are my issues.
I found a green/light green connector behind the driver's side kick panel that has been burnt through. I believe it is a relay but not sure.I hope some one can help. Thanks
It sounds like the previous owner really butchered the wiring and did half-assed repairs.

1. The turn signals, horn , and heater blower doesn't work.
start with the obvious ... check fuses . If they're fine then you have to trace the wires for cuts or shorts.

2. The wipers and radio works all the time (even with the key out of the switch)
3. The radio even works with radio fuse out of the panel.
I doubt this is a relay problem since the radio works when the fuse is removed. It sounds more like these have been rewired to constant power for some reason.
Old May 16th, 2007, 6:21 PM
CF Beginner

So i found out the burnt green thing wasn't a relay just a connector. I changed it and now the heater blower works. So now all the fuses look to be good, I don't see any broken or burnt wires and still no horn or turn signals. I changed the turn siganl switch still nothing. I can deal with the radio and wipers always having power but no turn signals is a problem. Any one have any more ideas?

worst case, would it be possible to run them by a toggle or something.
Old May 17th, 2007, 7:40 AM
CF Pro Member

Do the wires from the steering colum look to been altered ??

Try changing the flasher unit for the turn signals.

Disconnect the horn's power wire and jump it to the battery to see ifit works. It may be just a poor ground.
Old May 17th, 2007, 9:27 PM
CF Junior Member

Its most likely your front lighting wiring harness, there made pretty ****ty for these cars. I had to replace mine.
Old May 17th, 2007, 9:31 PM
CF Beginner

I found two relays up under the dash to the left. One cylinder shape one and one square white one. Both are connected to a purple colored unit with other connectors going to it. Does either one go to the turn signals? How do you check to see if a relay is good or not?

None of the wires looked messed with and nothing looks to have been cut or burnt.
Old May 19th, 2007, 5:15 PM
CF Junior Member

the relays for the turn signals would be no where under your dash...they would be along the front lighting wiring harness behind ur front bumper.

Quick Reply: I need electrical help