Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

I need electrical help

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2007, 2:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I need electrical help

There are no relays for the signals. The switch on the column runs directly to the lights, front and rear. There's a combination switch inside it that handles the brake/signal functions.

Those relays on the back of the front bumper bar are the DRL and fog light relays.

Chances are, the signal arm is shot. At 12 years old, it's probably in need of replacement. Hit up a wrecker and try and find a newer one... out of 2005 if you can find it. They all plug in the same.
Old May 25th, 2007, 10:55 PM
CF Beginner

I tried another signal arm unit from a '98, still the same. I am getting power to the switch and the flashers do work.

Here is what I have now. I have no turn signals, no horn, and no dash lights. (The check engine light and all the other warning lights work but not the back light for the gauges or the heater switches.) I don't know if this one problem or seperate issues.

I changed all the exterior light bulbsjust to rule out the option of a bad bulb. I traced all the wire I can with nothing looking cut or burnt. I checked every fuse in the box and they are all good. There are two of the big silver fuses in there one is for the headlights and I can't remember what the other one is. Would either of these effect my problem?

Everything else works fine, All the exterior lights, dome light, sunroof, heater blower, ect.
Old May 31st, 2007, 7:21 PM
CF Beginner

Still can't find the turn signal relay. The two relays I talked about earlier ynder the dash is the flashers and the horn. I dont have any relays behind my bumper.
Old June 1st, 2007, 7:49 AM
CF Pro Member

There shouldn't be a relay for the turn signal.

If you located the turn signal flasher and the horn relay then check for power there or replace them.
Old June 1st, 2007, 8:17 AM
CF Pro Member

ORIGINAL: jlenko

The switch on the column runs directly to the lights, front and rear. There's a combination switch inside it that handles the brake/signal functions.
The reason it's called a " combination "switch is it has a combination of functions combined into one control lever. These are to activate the park lights , head lights ( high and low ) and the turn signals in some cases the wipers and cruise control.

It's not designed to handle high current so it won't be wired directly to the lights. For example when you turn on the head lights the combination switch completes the circuit toenergize a relay which provides the higher current neededfor the headlights.

When you activate the turn signal the clicking sound doesn't originate from the switch it's from the flasher. The switch completes the circuit to energize the flasher , which is basically a relay with a timer circuit for cycling the output to the lights on and off.
Old June 1st, 2007, 9:57 AM
CF Beginner

OK so I have checked every fuse in the box, check all relays, changed every exterior bulb, and changed the combination switch with still nothing. Where should I go from here?
Old June 2nd, 2007, 6:51 AM
CF Pro Member

Have you checked the dimmer switch and it wires for the dash lights ?

Have you jumpered the horn to the battery to see if it works ?

Did you change out the flasher ?

If you are 100% positive the fuses are ok then you must have an open wiring situation some where ... either the ground or power wire.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 7:27 PM
CF Beginner

I FIXED THE TURN SIGNALS !!

For future reference the 95' model has a seperate relay for the turn signals. It is under the dash to the right of the steering column, clipped up to a bracket. (silver with two blue stripes) I changed the relay and they work fine. Just think I only had to remove the entire dash to find it. Talk about an easy fix gone bad. Thanks for all the info and I am sure I will need more help in the future.
Old June 7th, 2007, 8:24 AM
CF Beginner

Is the radio stock? It sounds like somebody may have rewired it and instead of connecting the +12V Ignition wire to the ignition switch system, they tied it into a +12V constant to the battery.