Colorado The compact pickup from Chevy, including the new Duramax Turbo-Diesel Colorado.

Chevrolet Colorado
Platform: GMT 350, GMT 31XX

2009 Chevy Colorado Z71 Code P1682

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2023, 7:52 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2009 Chevy Colorado Z71 Code P1682

My 2009 Colorado Z71 that’s throwing a P1682 code. Says it means “Driver 5 Line 2” in General Motors vehicles. This code is set when the Engine Control Module(ECM) finds a voltage difference that is higher than the maximum allowed threshold between two circuits- Circuit 1 and Circuit 2 (In GM terminolllgy).

Can anyone tell me if this means I need a new ignition switch or what??
Old April 10th, 2023, 8:33 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Shellz76
My 2009 Colorado Z71 that’s throwing a P1682 code. Says it means “Driver 5 Line 2” in General Motors vehicles. This code is set when the Engine Control Module(ECM) finds a voltage difference that is higher than the maximum allowed threshold between two circuits- Circuit 1 and Circuit 2 (In GM terminolllgy).

Can anyone tell me if this means I need a new ignition switch or what??
Here is what I found for your OBD II P1682 code:
  • Defective ignition switch: This is the most common cause of the code. Repairing or replacing the ignition switch will prompt the code to go away.
  • Ignition switch harness: The code will show up if the harness is either open or shorted.
  • Ignition switch circuit: The electrical connections in the circuit may either be damaged or disconnected. Damaged insulations and bare wires can also be the issue here.
  • Faulty fuses or fuse boxes: Some fuse boxes are known to deform when parked under the sun for a long time. This can result in the wiring inside the fuse box either loosening or breaking.
  • Fuel pumps: Defective or malfunctioning fuel pumps can also trigger the P1682 code.
  • Defective ECM: In some cases, the ECM may be faulty. In that case, you may have to look at a replacement to clear the code.
Repairs for OBD II code P1682:
  • Replace the ignition switch: This will most likely solve the issue, and the code will vanish. It is advised to replace a damaged switch to prevent getting stranded in the middle of a journey.
  • Replace the fuses or fuse box: If the first step does not work, it is time for further inspections. The first place to look is the fuse box for loose connections in the wiring and connectors.
  • Change the relays: If the relays are in poor physical condition, replace them to check whether the code is still there or not. If not, move on to see the fuel pump’s health.
  • Replacing the ECM: The entire ECM might be faulty in some cases. It will be the fix that can cost you a lot but replacing the entire control module is the only solution in this scenario.

I hope this information helps you out. You are welcome to ask any questions from anyone here, of course,.Shellz76
Old April 11th, 2023, 12:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks!! Just goin have to check each one til I get right one
The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (April 15th, 2023)