Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2007 Equinox overheating

Search this Thread

Old June 22nd, 2010, 9:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Equinox overheating

Today the rig overheated and the cooling fans are not running. The display said engine overheating, turn off the ac. Anyways should I replace the temp sensor? I want to test the fans too. Anyone with experence on this topic?
Old June 23rd, 2010, 7:56 AM
CF Beginner

I pulled off the fan connecters and found some black melting on the plastic. I tested 14.4v on the ac fan and 14.4 on the engine fan. Then I put the connectors back on the fans. Low and behold both fans came back to life! AC blowing properly, not cycling the compressor. Engine temp steady and no "steam" comming from engine compartment. Pretty weak connection to the fans IMO.
Old September 27th, 2010, 11:34 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2007 Equinox LS overheating

Strange but the prior posting is correct, a $20.00 fan connector vertually rendered the vehicle inoperable. I checked the two radiator fans and found them both to be not functioning, i checked the fuses and relays, both where fine, i went to grab the connector to take it off and check voltage; when just a touch assisted the connector into making a connection and the first fan started up with no problems. I did this for the 2nd fan and again it took off. I would advise cleaning the connection, they make a electric lube that the automotived industry has been using for some time...not sure how it will react to the heat. Good luck hope this helps.

C
Old October 22nd, 2010, 11:21 AM
CF Beginner

Yesterday my equinox overheated and it was the fan connector. I unplugged the connector and sprayed contact cleaner on the connectors and the fans started working.
Old January 15th, 2012, 3:01 PM
CF Beginner

Default Radiator fans

Several posts say to fix its as simple as unconnecting the wireing. Is this the connection at the fans at the radiator?
Old March 31st, 2013, 1:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by arizoncarl
Strange but the prior posting is correct, a $20.00 fan connector vertually rendered the vehicle inoperable. I checked the two radiator fans and found them both to be not functioning, i checked the fuses and relays, both where fine, i went to grab the connector to take it off and check voltage; when just a touch assisted the connector into making a connection and the first fan started up with no problems. I did this for the 2nd fan and again it took off. I would advise cleaning the connection, they make a electric lube that the automotived industry has been using for some time...not sure how it will react to the heat. Good luck hope this helps.

C
You just helped me fix my wife's vehicle. The electrical connections for both fans was the problem. Simple Electronic cleaning spray on both ends of the connections, added the electrical grease and both fans were working again. Thanks for the tip!
Old June 16th, 2017, 8:29 AM
CF Beginner

I know this is a VERY old chain of communication, but does anyone know if you can just replace the plug connectors. Mine overheated and I see that the plugs are melted some inside where you pull them apart. Every link I find takes me to the whole fan cooling system, but the fans actually work. The plugs are just bad. HELP. So, cannot spend that much money right now. THANKS!!!
Old August 15th, 2017, 9:46 PM
CF Beginner

I had this same issue. Both of my fans quit. It overheated and cracked a plastic t. Both of the connectors have gotten hot. They are burnt I sprayed contact cleaner in the plug, blew with compressed air, and cleaned with a small screw driver. I kept doing that. The connector was damaged. The holes are opened up and the metal components aren't aligned right and are opened up too much. I used the tiny screw driver to bend them back closer to place. I plugged them back in and they worked. Please let me know if I can help anyone else.
Old August 30th, 2019, 12:51 PM
CF Beginner

Literally created an account just to come in and say thanks!
Went straight to the connectors and they were the problem.
The female end that plugs into the fan connectors were the problem. They were melted/burned etc

I bought the more expensive version of this part.. but here is what you need.
ACDelco Connector part#PT2188
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...onnector&pos=1