Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2010 Equinox LS 2.4L - Doesn't Start When Cold

Search this Thread

Old August 25th, 2021, 9:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Equinox LS 2.4L - Doesn't Start When Cold

This is driving me nuts. Please help me solve this puzzle....

Basically, the car won't start in colder mornings even when the temperature is above 0C, like 7 degrees Celsius . Later in the day when it gets warmer, 20C degrees, it starts no problem... This happened last season at the end of winter. So I kept he car in garage over night and during the day it would be warm enough that it starts. Now it's getting cold again and I'm having the same problem.

There is no crank, it's like turning the key into empty. The lights, radio, fans turn on. There is engine light that comes on and sometimes the car lock (guessing car alarm) when this happens. But as soon as I try this later in the day when warm outside, the car starts without any struggle and those lights don't turn on........

It's my daily driver. Drove the car all summer with no issues. Remember I had this same problem at the end of March this year and then it warmed up outside and the problem never occurred anymore until couple of days ago.

It has 215,000km. Battery is about 2-3 years old. The radio and AC, fans will work, windows, etc. But there is no crank. What's the problem?

Not sure if this has anything to do with this but the car has a Compustar alarm installed that started acting up a few years ago where it would go off randomly on its own. I ended up turning the sensitivity **** all the way down essentially turning it off and it hasn't been sounding off but I'm wondering if it's still somehow preventing the car from starting?
Old August 27th, 2021, 9:01 AM
CF Beginner

I guess what I'm looking for is advice on how to test parts to maybe figure out what is NOT the issue. It's either:

1) Battery? Can't remember exactly when I bought it but it's not more than 3 years. How much voltage should I be getting?
2) Starter? Not sure how to test this. I've been driving it now every day and it starts no problem but as I said, the other morning it didn't want to start and it will happen again as soon as I leave it outside overnight because it's getting cold now (Canada, eh)
3) Alternator? Not sure how to tell if this thing is charging fully or not...
4) Relay, wires ... some connection somewhere losing contact? If anyone has a good guide on how to check these wires please let me know!
5) Aftermarket alarm system? I should probably take this thing out regardless.
6) Burn it to the ground... =D

If anyone has any other ideas or comments, I'm all ears... I don't mind getting my hands dirty but I need some pointers on where to begin.
Old August 27th, 2021, 9:18 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

You should have a second working key for your vehicle. Yes/No ?

When it won't start try the second key.
What do you get?
Old August 27th, 2021, 9:57 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply!
I do have a second key but I haven't tried using the second key when this happens. I'll give it a shot.
Not sure how the key might be an issue since it turns on everything else with no problem (the radio, the lights, the AC, etc. just not the motor).
Old August 27th, 2021, 1:25 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

Not sure regarding your particular vehicle, but some security systems that require a working coded key, will disable starter and fuel injection as anti theft protection.
Keys sometimes just lose their coding and will not allow the security system to permit operation.
Old September 2nd, 2021, 8:22 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by hanky
Not sure regarding your particular vehicle, but some security systems that require a working coded key, will disable starter and fuel injection as anti theft protection.
Keys sometimes just lose their coding and will not allow the security system to permit operation.
I took the car to the local car audio / alarm place that installs the exact same Compustar alarm that I have and they told me nothing is wrong with my alarm. I explained my problem where everything in the car turns on except the motor and there's no crank but they told me my alarm doesn't have the "kill start" feature anyway so it wouldn't be causing this.

I left the car outside overnight last night since it's getting cold again and of course, this morning it didn't want to start. I tried the second key and it also would not work (again, the lights, radio, AC all works fine, just not the motor).

Then, I used my remote starter and it started the vehicle without a problem...put the key in and drove away. Pretty sure the key will work fine after work today when it warms up... LOL FML

Any other ideas anyone? I thought it would be starter motor that's causing all the issues but why would it work with remote but not with the key? Then I thought maybe something with the ignition switch, but wouldn't it then not work at all (as in nothing would turn on in the car)?

Last edited by chevyhomie; September 2nd, 2021 at 8:25 AM.
Old February 23rd, 2022, 4:35 PM
CF Beginner

Have you received any solutions to your issue of Doesn't Start When Cold?
I have a 2021 Equinox that I am having the same issues. Just purchased the vehicle two months ago and park it in the garage every night. This past weekend we were at a motel and the vehicle was parked outside and the temperature at night got to 9 degrees Fahrenheit. In the morning went to start the vehicle and had every situation you explained. My brake also would not press in. The battery tested 100%. I finally disconnected the negative terminal cable for 10 seconds and reconnected. Checked the brake and it engaged and the vehicle started. I surely don't want to do that every time it gets below 10 degrees!
Old March 4th, 2022, 9:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Possible wire fretting, moving under temperature differences. Connection for key at BCM is pin 15 pink wire & 22 wht/blk wire at Connector X3. Remote is Pin 16, 25, 27 of Connector X2 and Pin 26 of Connector X1 at BCM. So inputs to computer are different for starting with key and remote. So I would check pin fit and connection of 15 and 22. Hope this helps!