Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

ANNOYING brake noise

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2020, 8:21 PM
.je
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry ANNOYING brake noise

On my 14 Equinox, I replaced rear pads with Delco Advantage and rotors. Immediately after this it made a terrible creaking (not squealing) noise at every stop. It makes the noise even stopped with brakes applied if varying pedal pressure. I lived with this for a couple of years.
I thought the Advantage pads were the problem, so I replaced them with a different brand, compressed the piston, lubed everything that contacts and slides, and it is
exactly the same.

This began after pads were replaced, by only taking off the caliper, exchanging the pads, and replacing the caliper. Nothing else was touched. It did this with winter wheels or summer wheels, the same.
I have heard that the hub should be replaced, but it occurred only after pad replacement. What do you say?

Last edited by .je; May 19th, 2020 at 9:39 PM.
Old May 19th, 2020, 9:24 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

There is a TSB that suggests replacing the hub assembly to fix the problem. I would first try cleaning all the mating surfaces between the rear hubs, brake rotors, and wheels. I would use a fine wire brush wheel with a drill for best results, but an air grinder with an appropriate buffing pad would also work fine. I'd recommend applying a light coat of anti-seize between the hub and the brake rotor before reassembly, especially if you live in the rust belt.