Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2008 Chevy Equinox - Not Impressed

Search this Thread

Old December 14th, 2012, 5:07 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mbmberg
ruley73.....You're right, I've always been taught not to judge. I'm not sure if saying "Are you kidding me?" or "This is ridiculous" is considered rude or not but I can sure tell you that having someone's vehicle for 3 days without any updates on the status of the part that was ordered ~ and then me finding out it would be there through the weekend because it was "backordered" ONLY because I initiated all communication, is extremely poor "Customer Service". Seriously??? Were they ever going to all me?
I agree, this is bad on their part. They should at least keep you in the loop. It really annoys me too when shops do this to me too.

Originally Posted by mbmberg
We asked about the "loaner" ONLY because when my husband dropped off the vehicle and the service technician said the part would need to be ordered so the car would have to stay ~ HER words to my husband were................."And I don't have a car to give you. We only have 8 loaners and they are all out but as soon as one comes in, we'll call you." That's why I kept asking about the status of the "loaner".
This makes sense. It doesn't seem unreasonable for you to keep asking about a loaner - especially given the circumstances. It possible that the service tech blew the situation out of proportion and told the service manager that you chewed their head off when that really wasn't the case. So it appears the manager sent you the above email in response to that. Which is wrong in my opinion. He/she should've at least got your side of the story, and not jumped to a conclusion.

If the service tech's skin is that thin, then she is definitely in the wrong field of work since they will encounter frustrated customers very frequently. This is not because the shop is underperforming, it's just because of the simple fact that some people (in general, not referring to you in particular), no matter what you do, can't be pleased and are never happy. She needs to know how to deal with these situations on her own without making a mountain out of a molehill or getting anyone else involved unless things get out of hand.

I would definitely make sure you tell the Chevrolet Customer Service rep everything that's happened, and how poorly that dealership has handled the situation.

With regard to the part(s) on backorder, they are probably reluctant to use aftermarket parts, but here's the scoop on the parts they probably need to replace:

Power Brake Booster -There are two designs used. Your dealership can easily determine which one you need.

OLD/1ST DESIGN - WITHOUT BUSHING BETWEEN BRAKE PEDAL PIN & BOOSTER PUSHROD
GM part number 15835854, list price - what they will probably charge you: $481.57
AC Delco p/n 178-0786 from RockAuto, your cost: $197.79 + S&H.

NEW/2ND DESIGN - WITH BUSHING BETWEEN BRAKE PEDAL PIN & BOOSTER PUSHROD
GM part number 20996840, list price: $215.00
AC Delco p/n 178-0788 from RockAuto, your cost: $102.79 + S&H.

Brake Master Cylinder
GM part number 88875876, list price: $157.34
AC Delco p/n 18M2551 from RockAuto, your cost: $86.79 + S&H

With that kind of price difference, I might ask if they will install the parts for you if you buy them yourself. AC Delco parts are identical to the parts they would normally use.

Last edited by ruley73; December 14th, 2012 at 5:09 PM.
Old December 14th, 2012, 6:42 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most "loaner cars" at dealerships are cars that are owned by the dealership and given to customers whose cars are being serviced for the day, not a few days. You should have gotten the rental from the dealership and called your insurance agent to see if you have rental car coverage and everything would have been a little smoother than it is right now. Dealership service writers are very busy people and probably don't have time to call EVERY customer on the status of parts on order.
Old December 14th, 2012, 8:36 PM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by mswerb
...You should have gotten the rental from the dealership and called your insurance agent to see if you have rental car coverage and everything would have been a little smoother than it is right now....
Doubtful. Rental coverage from your car insurance only covers the rental costs if your vehicle's repairs are being covered by an insurance claim. A mechanical failure of the vehicle is not likely to be a covered insurance claim under any policy unless the mechanical failure results in an accident or body damage to the vehicle which would then warrant other repairs.
Old December 14th, 2012, 10:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe my insurance will cover a rental car as well as the cost for a tow if needed, due to mechanical failure.
Old December 15th, 2012, 2:12 AM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by mswerb
I believe my insurance will cover a rental car as well as the cost for a tow if needed, due to mechanical failure.
It wiill probably cover a tow if you have a roadside assistance plan. I would double check your plan about the rental. It's not likely to be covered unless it has been in an accident and the repairs are covered by the claim. An exception would be if you have specific coverage for a mechanical breakdown. This would be a separate coverage that is not part your typical comprehensive or collision coverage.

State Farm - "This coverage pays for renting a car when your auto is disabled due to an auto accident."

Geico
- "Rental Reimbursement* is an optional coverage that helps pay your rental car costs while your car is being repaired as a result of a covered claim."

Nationwide
- "After a car accident, it can be a hassle – and expensive – to arrange for alternate transportation while your vehicle is being repaired. Rental car reimbursement helps pay for a rental car if your own vehicle can’t be driven due to a covered collision insurance or comprehensive car insurance claim."

Allied
- "Basic Loss of Use (also known as Rental Reimbursement) pays for a rental car or other transportation (such as bus or subway) if your car can't be driven after an accident. Rental Days Plus is a free enhancement to the Loss of Use coverage that can provide unlimited days of rental car coverage."

Progressive - "Rental Reimbursement provides rental car coverage if you have a claim that is covered under Comprehensive or Collision coverage. Daily rental amounts are subject to the limit purchased."

Last edited by ruley73; December 15th, 2012 at 2:17 AM.