Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2008 Equinox A/C Inop

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2011, 9:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Equinox A/C Inop

Push the **** which should engage the compressor, indicator light in the middle of the **** blinks 3 or 4 times and then stops, compressor never engages.

The back story of this vehicle (we've owned since new) is that it normally resides in a relatively warm climate, but spent this winter in the New York area. Lost a battery, it was jump started (a couple of times) and then finally towed to a dealer where they replaced the battery, only to have it die again a week later. Towed back to the dealer where they discovered the rear wiper motor was causing a draw, so they replaced the rear wiper motor, and all has been good, including the drive back to the southwestern U.S. a couple of weeks ago. Hit a lot of inclement weather- rain, snow, hail, fog; ran flawlessly but never needed to use the A/C.

Got warm here this week and now no A/C. Temp display in cluster read 56 (actual temp was much warmer) last time I messed with it trying to see if the A/C would kick in. Possible faulty ambient temp sensor?? Don't want to start guessing and throwing parts at it, but if it's something I can do, (I'm a capable car person) I'll do it, but if it's more serious, the thing might still be under warranty. Any ideas out there?
Old March 18th, 2011, 8:18 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

With a dilema such as this you may want to take the vehicle to the dealer simply for a diagnosis. As you said if it does turn out to be something simple you could more than likely fix it yourself. If not it's already at the dealership and in capable hands. If you would like me to check to see if your vehicle is still within warranty send me a message with your VIN and mileage. I'll be able to check it from there.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old March 27th, 2011, 7:50 PM
CF Beginner

Took it in to the dealer, where they quickly informed me vehicle was out of warranty on time (expired in January). Wouldn't have mattered- condenser has a hole in it from foreign object (rock, road debris, etc). The $1,300 they quoted me for replacement is out of the question.
Old March 28th, 2011, 4:14 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

CFhoervdy, I would like to direct message you about the issues you are having with your vehicle.

Old May 17th, 2020, 10:00 AM
CF Beginner

Default 08 chevy equinox ac light blinks 5x with no ac start

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
CFhoervdy, I would like to direct message you about the issues you are having with your vehicle.

need help ac won't turn on. Button flashed 5x
Old May 17th, 2020, 5:41 PM
CF Beginner

I faced this problem last year. The Light flashing is due to low pressure in the ac refrigerant line. . Try refilling the refrigerant. Mine had a big leak in the condenser which needs to be replaced.