Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Backup Camera Dead

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2024, 1:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backup Camera Dead

I have a 2010 Terrain (Equinox, same thing) with a backup camera in the rear view mirror. Bought the vehicle second hand and it's never worked.

From my understanding, there is a camera at the rear, a switch in the shifter, and an LCD in the mirror, and each has it's own fuse. I've tested the fuses and all tested fine.

When I go in reverse, the green light on the mirror flashes, but that's all.

So, trying to narrow down the culprit and establish a start point. I'm thinking, when I go in reverse and the green light blinks then that must mean the switch is working. Where I'm uncertain is, if the camera were dead, wouldn't the LCD still come on? Even if blank, it should still have some light, like, if your computer screen was black but on, you can tell... is that the case with these reverse cameras? or if no signal, the LCD remains off?

If the green light blinked and I could see a faded light come on behind the mirror, I'd pretty much assume a camera issue, but, with a blank screen and no light at all, not sure if the mirror/lcd dead or camera dead.

I'm in Canada, it's winter and I work outside on the car so would like to narrow stuff down a bit beforehand because well, it sucks working in the winter.