Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Immobilizer questions and key relearn procedure

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2023, 11:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Immobilizer questions and key relearn procedure

2014 equinox 2.4l

Did an engine swap. Started/drove vehicle at least 10 times or more. No issues. Trailered vehicle and unloaded it. Since then vehicle was driven a few times. Got out (not sure if vehicle locked/alarm set) went into store, came back out vehicle did nothing when trying to start. Tried jumping the vehicle and got nothing.

Waited a while, checked some fuses and relay. Tried again and only got a steady quick clicking like battery was dead. Lock symbol was on dash. Removed battery, charged it, car sat over night, brought battery back, vehicle was unlocked. Popped hood, put in battery, alarm started going off, used key fob to unlocked vehicle/silence alarm.

At this point same issue. Tried following different key procedures for vehicle to relearn. I could turn key to on, HUD said "checking" then all lights but key lock would go away. Turn to off, turn back to on, and no more lock symbol but also the same click issue when trying to start. Turn to off, turn back to on and sometimes key lock would reappear, other times not. Sometimes go to start and it would click once, cluster would go dark except key lock symbol.

Talked to a friend of mine who said to lock all doors (does it matter if with key fob or switch?), Lock, unlock, driver's door with key, turn key to ON and wait 10mins. Then vehicle should start. I'm assuming key has to go back to off then try to start vehicle.

Normal procedure ive read is to turn key to ON, wait 10min until lock symbol goes away, turn to off, then repeat 2 times. 3rd time lock symbol goes away turn key off, then turn all the way to start/crank and it should start.

Thoughts? Correct procedure? I tried both key fobs. Both work with the buttons on them to lock and unlock. Checked my grounds behind alternator and at engine head. Any other grounds to check?

​​
Old May 10th, 2023, 5:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well got it sorted. For others who find this:
1) battery was newer and charged
2) turn the key to crank and I'd get rapid clicking like a bad battery or connection.
3) sometimes lock symbol would come on after trying to start a few times (was gone beforehand)
4) turning the key to on and then off a few times, and waiting in on position, the lock symbol would go away.
5) key in door cylinder would not disarm alarm

So issue ended up being a bad ground. Cleaned the ground at battery for the BCM. Also made sure terminals on battery, both leads to posts, and back of head ground were clean, though I had previously inspected.
The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (May 11th, 2023)