Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Side mirror problem 0n 2019 Equinox

Search this Thread

Old August 31st, 2021, 3:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still A Problem

Had my 2018 Chevy Equinox Premier for several months with no problem. Bought it in June of 2019 and the problem started beginning of 2020. Driver one and two have their own settings and mirrors and seat worked great. Now the drivers side mirror does not return to saved location for either driver one or two. Seems to have no consistency that I can tell. Sometimes it tilts up too far and sometimes it tilts down too far. Problem has been happening for over a year and its getting OLD. Sometime the problem is fixed for a few days if I reset the memory settings on both the door and toggle on and off the memory recall setting in the vehicle settings. I've also had it work for a few days if I physically fold the whole mirror in and back out (Like if you need to put the mirror in to go into a car wash or something). But the problem always comes back. At first I thought it was maybe caused because of water leaking into the door and causing electrical problems but when I "manually" move the mirror with the controls it always works fine so not sure that is the problem. I did have to get the passenger side window seal replaced shortly after getting the car because it was a known failure and it was causing lock and unlock problems where I could only get into the car if I popped the trunk. So I wondered if the seal on the driver side is bad and causing water to get in but not sure. Haven't taken it to the dealership because I know they are going to do the same thing to me as they have done with others and just replace the memory components and it probably wont fix anything. Really not sure what the problem is. Best guess is that there is something wrong with the firmware. Because the motors into mirror seem to be fine since I can move it fine with the control. Fingers crosses that someone finds the solution. This forum is literally the ONLY place on the internet that I have found anything about the problem and other people having the same problem.

Last edited by simon.crim; August 31st, 2021 at 3:03 PM.
Old August 31st, 2021, 6:06 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for your confirmation that I'm not going crazy! Now the mirror does this pretty consistently. When I open the door after I shut off the car the mirror goes to a "park" position. When I start the car the mirror is supposed to go to the position set in memory when you set the mirror for your preference in settings. Sometimes it goes to that position and sometimes it moves a bit but doesn't make it to the set position in memory. Rather than cycle the mirror a few times to get it to go to the set position I simply move the mirror to the desired position but don't save it. That way when I leave the car then come back to use it again I havn't changed the original set point and it just might get it right again. I never know.
Bad thing is it's not getting any better.
Old August 31st, 2021, 6:11 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Xeroid
Thanks for your confirmation that I'm not going crazy! Now the mirror does this pretty consistently. When I open the door after I shut off the car the mirror goes to a "park" position. When I start the car the mirror is supposed to go to the position set in memory when you set the mirror for your preference in settings. Sometimes it goes to that position and sometimes it moves a bit but doesn't make it to the set position in memory. Rather than cycle the mirror a few times to get it to go to the set position I simply move the mirror to the desired position but don't save it. That way when I leave the car then come back to use it again I havn't changed the original set point and it just might get it right again. I never know.
Bad thing is it's not getting any better.

yeah your not going crazy, definitely a problem. And it’s annoying to have the memory feature and it not work right. Because so many are having the same problem I can’t see how it would be anything besides a firmware problem that will hopefully be fixed in the future.
Old August 31st, 2021, 6:15 PM
CF Junior Member

You said that the mirror "goes down too far" when in reverse. That's probably because the mirror doesn't come out of the "park" position when you start the car. Watch the mirror when you shut the car off. When you open the door the mirror will move to a pre programmed position that I call a "park" point. When you start the car warch the mirror and see if it moves out of that reference point. If it does not it will go straight down for a preset distance. That place is usually somewhere below the rear fender.
Old August 31st, 2021, 6:33 PM
CF Junior Member

It very well could be firmware but that depends on the method used to determine when the programmable set point it's trying to get to has been reached. I have experience with computer controlled devices that use operator set positions for moving components in the machines to desired positions. If my machines were as unreliable as the electronics in these cars I'd have been out of business in a week.
A huge problem with me is the wife. She has no knowledge of these things. These things should be set and forget. Listening to her get apoplectic over these things wants me to drive this pos off a cliff. Won't do it can't afford it. But at this point I'll never buy another GM product again and when asked how I like the car I'll let them know as long as they stay in earshot.
Old August 31st, 2021, 8:37 PM
CF Beginner

It very well could be firmware but that depends on the method used to determine when the programmable set point it's trying to get to has been reached. I have experience with computer controlled devices that use operator set positions for moving components in the machines to desired positions. If my machines were as unreliable as the electronics in these cars I'd have been out of business in a week.
A huge problem with me is the wife. She has no knowledge of these things. These things should be set and forget. Listening to her get apoplectic over these things wants me to drive this pos off a cliff. Won't do it can't afford it. But at this point I'll never buy another GM product again and when asked how I like the car I'll let them know as long as they stay in earshot.
has anyone removed a mirror and checked the connections ? are all the mirrors wired the same and the software is in the upgrades ? like can a heated mirror be added when it didnt roll off the lot that way ?
Old August 31st, 2021, 9:25 PM
CF Junior Member

I'm not going to take any thing apart until the car is out of warranty.
Old August 31st, 2021, 9:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by kstempler
I can't believe how ineffective Chevrolet is. Have been getting bounced around at corporate since the dealership can't fix the issue. They pushed me to corp and even provided a case number. I took to social media and SURPRISE Chevrolet responded immediately. They are trying to send me to yet another dealership.
Did you get anywhere with corporate? Has anything been fixed for you? Where did you post on social media to get their attention?
Old September 2nd, 2021, 7:32 AM
CF Beginner

I'm not going to take any thing apart until the car is out of warranty.
i ya i get that mine runs out tomorrow lol,,,
Old September 8th, 2021, 8:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

2019 Equinox Premier purchased new in December 2018. We had the same issue described in this thread in Aug/Sep 2020. Took it to the dealer and they very quickly decided to replace the drivers side mirror under warranty. That seemed to fix the issue. That is until the last couple of weeks when the issue seems to be back. We'll be heading back to the dealer as we're coming up on the end of our warranty. I was hoping to find a published fix, but doesn't sound like that is available yet.

Quick Reply: Side mirror problem 0n 2019 Equinox