Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

'05 Express 2500 Brake Line Tools??

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2021, 5:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '05 Express 2500 Brake Line Tools??

Hey, all, on my, uh I forget, stopper for flushing my brake fluid in my '05 Express 2500 extended.
So, after replacing all four calipers and rear hoses, one big stopper left: the driver rear brake line.

The nut was rusted to the line enough to twist it when trying to remove. So I'm going for a 6-8" fix to patch the line to the hose. Big stopper, getting a tool that will actually bubble flare the line! So far, assuming the line is 6.4mm OD, which is sooo close to 1/4 OD, might as well call it that too. Big problem, both of the tools I've tried have failed to flare, instead they fail to hold the line and it pushes through. These kits also mess up the line when I get super tight, deform and put a bunch of scars on the tube.

Any pointers for the right tool that will work?

Other piece, I could NOT locate the brake line nut for the hose at any parts store in town. Ended up drilling out the old nut so I can at least use it.

I'm at the point I would gladly pay $100 for a ready-formed line, it's the one between the two rear brakes, haven't found yet.

Simply dumbfounding what a PITA this is to fix the damn brakes. I know, 16 year old vehicle, but my 34 year old is a breeze.
Old August 17th, 2021, 6:33 PM
CF Junior Member

Oh ho! At least I found a picture, though no number for the line. The brake line nut is shown AND leads to a replacement part AND is available from Rockauto for $2.17. An actual, correct part number is a good thing.

Now, how to flare the damn tubes?!?!

https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.c...category=19393
Old August 18th, 2021, 8:26 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts

Start with cutting the tube with a saw not a tubing cutter. Then file the end square and chamfer the inside and outside. This keeps from work hardening while cutting. Clamp it hard enough to not slip. Don't worry about putting crimp lines on the straight part. That isn't where it seals.
The following users liked this post:
Kael (August 18th, 2021)
Old August 18th, 2021, 12:54 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

The tools to do regular double flare and bubble flare two different tools.
Bubble flare tool kits are available a most auto supply stores.
There are no second chances when doing brake work. Use the right tools or give the job to someone that has the correct tools to do it right.
Chances are you are dealing with METRIC brake lines and fittings, . They are different from standard fittings and lines and sometimes are colored blue to designate METRIC..
It is not a good feeling to be going down the road at 60MPH and have to hit the brakes and HOPE a repair job will hold up.

You also should have a set of METRIC tubing wrenches so you don't butcher up the fittings.That is one reason why shops charge so much , someone has to help pay for the special tools..
Old August 19th, 2021, 7:23 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Triaged
Don't worry about putting crimp lines on the straight part. That isn't where it seals.
There are simple crimp lines versus completely gnashing the tube.
Old August 19th, 2021, 9:08 AM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I repaired brake lines on an 80's Cadillac Seville years ago. I used compression fittings to patch in a rusted piece of line. Don't know if that's the proper way but it held for years until it headed to the scrap heap!
Old August 20th, 2021, 3:49 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Way too much work for me. I would have just measured from whatever connector I could find to the rear hose and bought pre-made brake line at the parts store, if necessary a combination of pieces and unions to fit the length.
Old August 22nd, 2021, 7:52 AM
CF Junior Member

Ordered a Titan 51515 1/4", worked great. Note, a 6.4mm line = .25196".
Only "downside" was the free length of line required. Need at least 1 1/4" free with nut in place.

Amazon Amazon